Loft

Sponsored Links
Hello baz1,

Firstly I should state that I am not up to speed with the Building regulations for Scotland and the exact procedure for obtaining Regularisation (that is Building Regulations Approval after the works are completed on site) and apologise if any of the information is incorrect. I imagine its kinda similar though. :p

A floor such as this can acieve the 30min fire resistance required without insulation. However (in England) to achieve 30 mins you need t&G floor boarding (technically min. 22mm too). The ceiling is probably ok although a fire resistant foam filler should have been used.

A rule of thumb for calculating the depth of floor joists is the span divided by 20. Therefore a span 5.3m would need joists of around 265mm so they may be undersized. They are quite thick though so that may help.

Now for the crunch!

(In England) A regularisation application will involve the Inspectors looking at everything that would normally be looked at (fire, structure, thermal etc etc). The trouble is everything has been covered and he won't be able to see evidence of the works. He'll likely expect some holes made in floors and ceilings etc to see what's gone in. If he spots something a bit dubious he'll tend to look at everything else more carefully drawings or not!

It will also depend on your inspector, some are more amiable/zealous than others!

Freddy, Thanks alot for the quick response really appreciated.

Do you think using the original joists will be a problem ?

And do you think with the loft having already been converted to one side it should help in my case. Also when it was a Mill before conversion the side Ive floored was in the past, so im hoping that also helps in my case to.

Again cheers

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, if the floor spans fall outside of the TRADA span tables (of which 5.3m is on the brink) Building Control may demand to see calculations from an engineer if the sizes of the timbers used seem slightly dubious which I think they may be! (You've not indicated what centres the joists were installed at!) Only by approaching Building Control though will you find out! As mentioned a lot will depend on your inspector. Same applies to what has already been built before you converted. If he's wet behind the ears he will be more cautious than an old timer, in theory anyway!

With Regularisation you have to suck it and see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back