Burning smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a burning smell from the supply and consumer unit under the stairs. I found that the black cable coming from the main fuse/supply to the meter was a bit warm, and its the fuse/connector bit that's warm. The red wire/connection isn't warm. The dishwasher was on at the time but nothing else to speak of.

The meter was changed over about 18 months ago.

When you flick the kettle on, you can often see the lights dim a tiny bit.

Any ideas what can be causing this? I guess there's nothing I can really do as a novice but I'd like to know what might be going on.

cheers...

Sponsored Links
It sounds like there is a loose/bad connection in the cut-out area - possibly the fuse contacts. This needs attending to by the DNO as soon as possible. Call their emergency number and tell them your concerns. In the meantime try not to use any high wattage appliances (shower, cooker, immersion, w/mc, dishwasher etc)

Have you called them yet ? I for one would suggest that if you have not done so, then do as ricicle has said, call their 24hr emergency number. A loose neutral with overheating especially on such a small load as a dishwasher could petentially catch fire , not trying to be over dramatic here, but you only need to look at a recent post of a burnt consumer unit to understand what a loose neutral is doing t the equipment.

Let us know how you get on.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Checked the forum after the kids were in bed, and got on the case. I called the emergency line, who immediately advised me to turn off the power at the consumer unit immediately. Southern Electric had someone around at the house 40 minutes later and they replaced the neutral block in the cut-out and its connection to the meter. The old block and that end of the cable were charred and had a bit of melted insulation.

Full marks to Southern Electric for speed and professionalism....everything seems good now, the lights don't even dim when the kettle goes on.

Cheers everyone for the clear and quick advise on this one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back