gas supply to out building queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We will be having an out building built at the bottom of the garden and intend to put heating radiators in there. The distance between the main house and the outbuilding is approx 50 ft.

Questions

What pipes (copper/plastic) will the plumber (gas safe) use for this new gas supply to the building?

What isolation valves he will be using.?

How deep will the trench have to be to bury this new pipework?

Can he tap off the existing supply to the boiler (sited in the kitchen) or will he have to go back to the meter (under the stairs )?

What size pipe will he be using to run such a long run (22m/32mm)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of material (copper/plastic) will the plumber (gas safe) be using to take this new gas supply to the out building?

What isolation valves he will be using.?

What size pipe will he be using to run such a long run (22m/32mm)?
I dont know why dont you ask him?

For the pipe, yellow MDPE works out MUCH cheaper than yellow PVC coated copper, even taking into account the possible amount of wastage.
20mm ought to be adequate.

One of the less sarcastic/more sober experts might be along soon to give you some advice.

Sponsored Links
One of the less sarcastic/more sober experts might be along soon to give you some advice.

The questions are too open to answer correctly.

What size boiler is at the other end? Whats the gas pipe size in the kitchen and between the kitchen and meter?

Too many variables, a site survey would be needed.

Charnwood, I would normally agree with you on this, but it is a fairly stupid OP. How CAN we know the answwer, and why doesn't he just ask the installer. Presumably he'll have a written quotation abd specs :rolleyes:

Now, if he was telling us what the guy intended to do, and asked if that was okay, he might get a better repsonse.

ok ok ok let me just state the reason i am asking u guys is to gain some knowledge "upfront"...... rather then have some muppet come over and give me sub-standard advice on how "he" sees fit he should install the system.

petit_pablo the boiler will be a very small combi presumably 15mm at the end fitting (connection to the boiler). the pipe size between the meter and the kitchen boiler will be 22mm copper.

any other questions to clarify my query pls just ask. hope this has cleared up some variables!!!

You decide which muppet.

Generally the heating industry is populated by professionals.

This forum gets questions answered confidently by muppets and professionals. The muppets are usually the most convincing because they shout louder.

You choose.

hope this has cleared up some variables!!!

Not really.

Combi will be 24kw odd so will need a certain volume of gas, 22mm copper probably isnt the best pipe choice for under the ground.
You will most likely need to run new pipe from the meter to wherever you tee off.

Anyway, get some "muppets" round and see what they say.

Generally the heating industry is populated by professionals.
Unfortunately, as you well know, there are plenty of muppets in the industry, and a few whose ethical standards seem to be (staying polite) a tad lower than most of us.

I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to try and get a feel for the situation before getting someone in - so that he can spot if he's being taken for a ride.

Yes, more detail would be great, but perhaps people could be bit more ready to say what information is needed instead of being sarcastic about it not being provided ? It's easy when you are "in the business" to forget that some of the people you are dealing with know diddly squat about your subject*, and such sarcasm isn't becoming.

* As was brought home to me last week when I had to talk someone through setting something up on his computer. My colleagues were having something of a giggle when I had to explain ... "on your keyboard, where the I O and P keys are, then a couple of brackets - the Return key is the big one to the right of those" :rolleyes:

Air con unit will be the cheapest option.

Will heat and cool and all you need is an electric cable to the out building.

SimonH2......... thank u so much for that very comforting and helpful advice i hope "muppets" like petit_pablo realise and take heed of your advice :)

dcawkwell.......... do u know that totally slipped my mind to install an airconditioning unit..... thank u so much :)...... simple and brilliant. amazing how some of these so called experts didn't mention it at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back