Short circuit test

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point!!
(so much for my electrical/Mechanical apprenticeship then!!) :LOL:

No, you have an incomplete knowledge of the meaning of the word.

I raise you a degree in physics and electronics against your apprenticeship

Your confusion arises from the difference between something which IS a short circuit and something that has BECOME a short circuit through some type of failure

Sponsored Links
To all intents & purposes the term " Short Circuit " is used in the context of a " Fault " That is how I & the majority of The general public take as the meaning.

the fact that the actual term " short circuit " , has a meaning other than a fault is well ???? neither here nor there IMHO

I used to know a "Vision's Technician" ??? turned out he was a window cleaner !!!

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this point!!
(so much for my electrical/Mechanical apprenticeship then!!) :LOL:

No, you have an incomplete knowledge of the meaning of the word.

I raise you a degree in physics and electronics against your apprenticeship

Your confusion arises from the difference between something which IS a short circuit and something that has BECOME a short circuit through some type of failure

Ball locks!, you obviously are not working in the field
you can define a short circuit anyway you like

but in the diagnostic and repair feild a short circuit will always be viewed as a fault condition
and a circuit through a switch will be viewed as a closed circuit condition not a short

Matt

Oh, don't you know? Having a degree means you know everything.

Also means you are blind to common sense. You'd be surprised at how many degree/masters/Phd holders have a bizarre way at looking at things.

Sponsored Links
To all intents & purposes the term " Short Circuit " is used in the context of a " Fault " That is how I & the majority of The general public take as the meaning.

the fact that the actual term " short circuit " , has a meaning other than a fault is well ???? neither here nor there IMHO

I used to know a "Vision's Technician" ??? turned out he was a window cleaner !!!

I really don't care what "the general public" think, short circuit has a specific meaning, if you want to abuse it, that's not my problem. It's like the word "dry joint" which is universally misused to describe cracked joints

we repair pcbs, thats what we do

you can define a short circuit anyway you like

I have done - my definition is correct

but in the diagnostic and repair feild a short circuit will always be viewed as a fault condition

only by those who don't understand the meaning of the word

and a circuit through a switch will be viewed as a closed circuit condition not a short

no it doesn't, that phrase gives no indication of the health of the connection

I certainly wouldn't want someone with your incomplete understanding anywhere near any appliance of mine

Matt[/quote]

Oh, don't you know? Having a degree means you know everything.

no, it does mean that I have a knowledge of such definitions, not the lazy misuse of such words

Also means you are blind to common sense.

Err, how do you work that out, it seems to be fitters that are lacking common sense here nd resorting to brain dead dogma

You'd be surprised at how many degree/masters/Phd holders have a bizarre way at looking at things.

Err .. whats your point?

tumbleweed2.gif

and so when one of your colleagues tells you a semi conductor relay is "short circuited" you will pursume he means what exactly?

and the phrase "short circuit" gives what indication of the health of the connection exactly?

I certainly wouldn't want someone with your incomplete understanding anywhere near any appliance of mine

I'll not sleep now, worrying about your opinion :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Matt

and so when one of your colleagues tells you a semi conductor relay is "short circuited" you will pursume he means what exactly?

to have GONE short circuit would be a faulty relay

Semiconductor relays are basically optocouplers where a short circuit on the output would be a fault condition

it doesn't change the definition of short circuit. for example, if you measure the resistance of a piece of (normal) wire, you would expect to see a short circuit between the two ends. You would also say that there is continuity between the ends, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it is a short circuit and, believe it or not, NOT a fault condition

and the phrase "short circuit" gives what indication of the health of the connection exactly?

no indication whatsoever other than that there is no resistance between the two points

I'll not sleep now, worrying about your opinion

sleep indicates active brain function, steady on there

Matt

If you are going to be an argumentative little tool, at least have the decency to learn how to quote people properly.

is that the best you have ?

I suppose I have to call you a ****** in return

yeah , that fits, you are a bit pathetic, aren't you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back