Cylinder won't stop filling up

If it was a sealed system the pressure would drop if there's a problem with the primary side.

lol how would that be a sealed system in that picture :D

Its the primary circuit he's on about
the store may be heated indirectly via a second coil connected to a sealed system

so whats the header tank for ? goldfish bowl ? :p

*sorry had a drink, feeling mischievous ;)

Sponsored Links
Its the Direct mainflow twin pump model matt1e.

With indirect the primary flow tapping would be much nearer the bottom.

Cheers for that doitall
I was wondering if the boiler installer had attempted to convert the primary side to sealed which of course would be impossible, or fitted another cistern higher than the store if open vent
But I'm probably thinking to much due to wine!
It would help if the op does Ian's test to rule out the dhw coil,which is probably the most likely suspect

Matt

If it was a sealed system the pressure would drop if there's a problem with the primary side.

lol how would that be a sealed system in that picture :D

Its the primary circuit he's on about
the store may be heated indirectly via a second coil connected to a sealed system

so whats the header tank for ? goldfish bowl ? :p

*sorry had a drink, feeling mischievous ;)

To top up the store
Well all right the heating circuit too, since its a direct one ;)

Oh and bottoms up mick, having a slurp myself

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your comments guys.

Ian, thanks for your advice - I turned the red lever off overnight and it hasn't filled up overnight. I don't know whether the two are connected but I was woken up in the early hours by the boiler pump making a loud noise and I had to switch it off to shut it up. I've switched it on again now but it's still making a louder noise than usual.

Looks like I def need a new cylinder then. I don't think my plumber is looking forward to fitting one in case it doesn't solve the problem but it sounds as if it should.

45yearsagasman mentioned a Gledhill Boilermate. Would you guys recommend this over an Albion? I want to stick with a thermal store as I like having mains pressure hot water.

I would consider keeping the store, and modifying it with a plate HX.

May confuse you plumber even more though.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Ian, thanks for your advice - I turned the red lever off overnight and it hasn't filled up overnight. I don't know whether the two are connected but I was woken up in the early hours by the boiler pump making a loud noise and I had to switch it off to shut it up. I've switched it on again now but it's still making a louder noise than usual.

Looks like I def need a new cylinder then. I don't think my plumber is looking forward to fitting one in case it doesn't solve the problem but it sounds as if it should.

45yearsagasman mentioned a Gledhill Boilermate. Would you guys recommend this over an Albion? I want to stick with a thermal store as I like having mains pressure hot water.

It sounds like the domestic HW coil has perforated then its quite common on Albions unfortunately, I would hazard a guess at around the £900 mark for that size of cylinder I changed one for the same reason last year, I would check prices of similar products and if viable go for a more reliable manufacturer Gledhill are OK but do have a lot more to go wrong with them there is an estate near me with Albions and I think nearly every house has had a replacement due to coils perforating at some time or another

I would consider keeping the store, and modifying it with a plate HX.

May confuse you plumber even more though.

I agree, and will probably be the cheapest option too, you only need to buy the PHEX, you already have everything else you need
I've tried to read up about how this works, and I'm sorry but I can't fathom it. If you keep the existing tank, how does fitting a plate HX stop the existing coil from leaking? Where do you fit it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back