DHW cylinder directly on floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bit of a strange question. Is it ok to place a DHW cylinder directly onto a chipboard floor? The floor will be double thickness at 44mm. All the cylinders I can recall seeing have been mounted on two strips of wood.

I have good reason for wanting to do this - too long to go into here. Just wondered if there's any reason I shouldn't.

Cheers
Simon

Sponsored Links
The bottom of the cylinder is concaved so if you mount it directly onto chipboard there will be a void. This area needs to breath or over time the wood can rot. Chipboard will be especially vulnerable.

Flat floor makes much more sense than a couple of battens as the cylinder is then fully supported around its perimeter rather than on only four short pads.

As to rot under a potentially dry and warm cylinder, I am willing to learn something new and nonintuitive on that one.

Sponsored Links
Not a new thing - I was told to do it on battens in `76 :mrgreen: I think we might have been putting them flat on the floor before that :confused:

I always stand them on a piece of 40mm worktop.
The rim of the base needs fully supporting to spread the weight.

As for ventilation to stop rotting...... Four king absolute Horlicks!!!!

After 45years in the trade, The only rot under a cylinder that I have seen has been due to a leak.

Condensation my orifice. :rolleyes:

Have thought it was a load of boolacks but just drilled a hole in the surface the cylinder was sitting on when I fitted new ones; just in case.

Can see where the idea came from.

Probably completely unnecessary but I stand them on a circle of camping mat.....gives them a wee cushion.
Worth checking the new one just to see that it hasn't been dragged along the floor in the warehouse, van or whatever.....I had one that was badly abraded there and it leaked after a month or two.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back