help! metal nut stuck on plastic screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, just moved house and the shower hose has split.

The issue i have is i cant remove it due the the metal nut getting stuck on the plastic screw.

Ive had the shower unit open and cant simply remove the plastic bit either.

Tried 3 in 1 oil... not sure what to do next.

Here is a pic //www.diynot.com/network/dcblues/albums/21527

Help

Sponsored Links
Chances are it's scale holding it try vinegar on it wrap a bit of kitchen towel soaked in vinegar (white is best but run of the mill dark will do) it should dissolve the lime scale in a little while.
Real vinegar that is not "non brewed condiment" some places sell.

Thanks footprints, will try that now and keep you posted...

Keep the ideas coming :)

Looks like it's been leaking and sealed with silicon?
In which case you will need to break the seal by scraping the sealant away from the top and then use a spanner on it supporting the shower body to avoid damage.
Probably been fitted without the essential washer which would cause it to leak.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is that plastic is S*** when it comes to undoing any tight fittings if all else fails brute force may be the only way to shift it.
If so make sure you hold the thickest part of the plastic against the pressure in turning the nut, pump pliers would be best.
Old plastic will snap at the slightest provocation so brute force is the very last resort :cry:

In which case you will need to break the seal by scraping the sealant away from the top and then use a spanner on it supporting the shower body to avoid damage.

The white ridges you can see are top of the plastic screw.

The nut has corroded.

Trouble is that plastic is S*** when it comes to undoing any tight fittings if all else fails brute force may be the only way to shift it.
If so make sure you hold the thickest part of the plastic against the pressure in turning the nut, pump pliers would be best.
Old plastic will snap at the slightest provocation so brute force is the very last resort :cry:

Soaked in vinegar overnight and dint do a thing. The nut is pretty much corroded on the plastic.

Tried brute force to a point, but if the plastic snaps, i'll have to change the whole unit which is tilled in.

What do you think to taking a hacksaw to the nut?

Don't think a hacksaw will work you will damage the thread on the plastic.
If it was me I would use two pair of gland nut pliers.

This sort of thing.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vice-grip-12-groove-joint-pliers/43518

Hold the plastic firmly and then grip the metal nut firmly and "rock" the nut gently back and forth. So tighten slightly undo tighten undo and so on till it starts to move carry on till it undoes easily.

Don't think a hacksaw will work you will damage the thread on the plastic.
If it was me I would use two pair of gland nut pliers.

This sort of thing.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vice-grip-12-groove-joint-pliers/43518

Hold the plastic firmly and then grip the metal nut firmly and "rock" the nut gently back and forth. So tighten slightly undo tighten undo and so on till it starts to move carry on till it undoes easily.

Thanks again! I'll give this a try along with a full tin of WD40 :D

What do you think to the sprays mentioned above?

Will keep you posted.

The Halfords one might be worth a try the normal way to free seized nuts is heat with a blowlamp not an option with plastic :rolleyes: So freezing might be an alternative way I swear by Releasall not sure you can still get it now. but like most anti seize oils it tends to work best on rust here we have a brass nut and plastic lug so no good.

The nut has corroded.
So whats the clear guey stuff on the nut?
Can't see any corrosion, they are chromed copper so can't corrode.

The nut has corroded.
So whats the clear guey stuff on the nut?
Can't see any corrosion, they are chromed copper so can't corrode.

Sorry not sure what you mean, ive uploaded a new image - how would i know if its silicon?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back