solar shed project !! wiring diagram

Easy mistake to make. As I have said we also made the mistake. On a narrow boat we had a 4 amp supply and we though use that to charger batteries then have an inverter to give us the 3kW (6kW peak) we wanted.

However theroy was great practice was not. The inverter has an array of around 30 FET's each with a blade type 16 amp fuse and it hopes the resistance through the fuse is enough to ensure power sharing and up to about 1.5kW it did but at 2.8kW the kettle it just didn't work.

With a 24 volt or 48 volt system likely it would have worked but 12 volt is just too low and at 250 amp cables are also a problem. We used 360 Ah of battery which really was not enough and a 25 amp step charger.

The grandchildren meant that the boat was sold so the problem went away for us, the new owner swapped to a true sin wave inverter no where near as big.

Having learnt the hard way I hope I can stop others from making the same mistake.

Sponsored Links
thanks all for your replies its much appreciated !!!

can anybody point me in the right direction for a suitable rcd ? i cant seem to find the "A type " anywhere ????

they all seem to be AC

regards
mark

Sponsored Links
With a google I got this advert right on the top of the page.
Although the description in the title of that link does, indeed, describe it as "Type A", in the included photo it appears to bear a Type AC (not Type A) symbol, and also seems to be far too cheap for a Type A. Are you sure that it really is Type A?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back