Addition oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have just had a quote from a sparky for £425 to run some cable to a new cooker switch in the kitchen.

He's putting up some trunking outside the house and basically running a cable from the consumer unit - throughh the wall... Under some guttering (inside trunking) through the kitchen wall and into a switch.

We have a 32 amp breaker already running to the kitchen but need an additional 16 amp to accommodate a new hob.

Right - i think this is a half day job, at worst... And £425 is exceptionally expensive for what appears a fairly simple job....

As a decent diyer i think this looks quite simple and, as i have an unused 16amp breaker in my unit that was once meant for a shed, i assume its as simple as connecting the appropriate cable and running it to a cooker socket?

Anyone any advice to assist or confirm my theory that this is a relatively simple job? Or am i missing something?

Thanks in advance.

(Socket 14 in consumer unit)

Sponsored Links
I don't think I would be paying anyone £425 to run some cable along the outside of my house.

SO you already have a 32A oven circuit.
And a separate socket circuit in the kitchen ?

We have a 32 amp breaker already running to the kitchen but need an additional 16 amp to accommodate a new hob.
Are you sure this is actually needed?
Hobs generally use far more than 16A, and the vast majority of kitchens can have both oven and hob connected to a single 32A circuit. In some cases 2 ovens and a hob on the same circuit.

Thanks for replying.

The wife wants 2 ovens which,according to tech specs on the bosch website should have a 16amp fuse on each- So the 32 amp in there at the min will cover that (in my mind anyway...)

It was the sparky who said he'd run from the unit at 16 amp for a new electric hob...

And yeah ... £425 seems steep doesnt it!

Sponsored Links
at the min there's 32amp which only runs to the cooker. (Sockets and lights etc rund off different....)

I just need another circuit for the new electric hob as the 32amp thats there at the min will cover the 2 new ovens that the wife wants.

The wife wants 2 ovens which,according to tech specs on the bosch website should have a 16amp fuse on each- So the 32 amp in there at the min will cover that (in my mind anyway...)
It's not actually as simple as that. If the manufacturer says that each of the ovens must be protected by a 16A fuse/MCB, and if you want to comply with that instruction, then you can't achieve it by running both off a circuit protected by a 32A MCB - each over would have to have its separate 16A protection.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks john. That makes sense..

Is there a way to achieve this locally - i.e at the socket - rather than running 2 wires from consumer unit?

Is there a socket which could support 32amp feed but maybe tee off (sorry - i'm more of a plumber!) so that both ovens could act independantly?

Thats not difficult to achieve though John, DIN rail enclosure in the back of an adjacent base unit, fed from the feed leaving the cooker isolator, pair of 16A breakers for ovens, 32A for hob. No discrimination with the upstream device but not an issue in this circumstance. Depending on the ratings of the applicances and the install method of the 6mm feed, it might be the case that a swap to a 40A breaker for the feed might be wise.

Thats not difficult to achieve though John, DIN rail enclosure in the back of an adjacent base unit, fed from the feed leaving the cooker isolator, pair of 16A breakers for ovens, 32A for hob. No discrimination with the upstream device but not an issue in this circumstance. Depending on the ratings of the applicances and the install method of the 6mm feed, it might be the case that a swap to a 40A breaker for the feed might be wise.
Sure, I agree with all that. I didn't say that the individual protection was necessarily difficult to achieve - I was merely pointing out that it was not quite as simple as the OP had thought.

If you're suggesting that the enclosure should have a 32A MCB for the hob as well as the two 16A ones for ovens, I don't really see the point of that (given the upstream 32A MCB) - the hob could be 'connected directly' to the circuit (e.g. from the cooker isolator).

Kind Regards, John

Also, could somebody please remind me what circuit capacity would be needed to supply a 2-oven 11kW range cooker?

An 11kw cooking range would require at least 21.34A of capacity or 26.34A if socket on cooker switch.

This is perhaps a little bigger than 11kw, if ovens are 3.5kw its probably near 13kw.

Within the diversity guidelines for a 32A circuit I'll give you, but it depends on how close to the bone you want to cut it.

I've seen issues with range cookers throwing out 32A breakers in heavy use, so generally work on 32A for standard 600mm wide cooking setups, and 40 / 45A for range sized setups

This is perhaps a little bigger than 11kw, if ovens are 3.5kw its probably near 13kw.
I was assuming (yes, I know :confused: ) that this soi-disant electrician had not encountered diversity, for if he had he would not be insisting on a new circuit, and therefore the proposed hob circuit has no diversity in it already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back