Boiler Fan Running Constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I've recently moved into a rented property with some friends that has a condensing boiler in my bedroom wardrobe. I have asked the landlord to move it out of the room but he will not budge so I'm stuck with it where it is.

One major problem with it is the fan in the boiler which runs constantly, even when the boiler is not in use. According to the landlord this is how it should be but I just think he's being difficult. Does this sound right to anyone?

The boiler is a Glowworm Hot Water Express 80. If anyone needs any more information please fell free to ask.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Never heard of the boiler but some have a 'trickle fan' function. Does this sound like yours or is it going full speed?

Have you been given a copy of the Landlord's Gas Safety Report? By law you must be given a copy. The LGS Check has to be carried out annually by a Corgi registered gas installer. You should also be given a copy of the operating instructions for the boiler.

I would be very surprised if the fan was meant to run continuously on a condensing boiler, unless it has a pilot light. It sounds as if an incompetent person may have fixed the fan to run continuously to override a safety device.

It is NOT a condensing boiler it is a Combi boiler, the fan does fun at slow speed all the time on this boiler.

Sponsored Links
purp1euk said:
I've recently moved into a rented property with some friends that has a condensing boiler
That's what the guy said..... :rolleyes:

Turn off the double pole fused isolation when you go to bed and turn it on when you get up. You have a right to. If any of the other resisdents don't like it let them have your room.

Paul Barker said:
Turn off the double pole fused isolation when you go to bed and turn it on when you get up. You have a right to. If any of the other resisdents don't like it let them have your room.

And then the OP can come back on here and ask about his/her pilot light problems.

They are a pile of s h i t e and never relight properly.

Move house :LOL:

Sorry I wasn't thinking. Yes move out. Eventually landlord will realise that room can't be let.

I try very hard not to fit a boiler in a bedroom but sometimes it is the best opf a bad situation. But the present range don't cause too much trouble. I couldn't sleep in a room with a fan running full kilt.

I've been looking at doing some sound-proofing of the wardrobe walls. The problem has been that the wardrobe door has two vents fitted to it, so most of the noise I hear comes through them. Apparently there are devices I can attach to the vents which basically make the sound travel through a tunnel lined with sound-abosrbing material, so hopefully those measures may be a solution.

The fan itself had broken when I moved in and was making a dreadful noise (probably because it is running 24/7) so hopefully the new one will last since it needs to be runing all the time. It's so annoying though.

As for the gas safety report, I've never seen one, never mind own a copy of it so thanks for pointing that out. I'll get one off the landlord ASAP.

And as for moving out, I've signed a contract that runs until the end of June. After that I'm gone :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back