Swiftflow 80 fan running constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in and have swiftflow 80 and the fan is running constantly? Cooker engineer says there's also a gas pressure drop. Has new Honeywell gas module and presume solonoid as its integral. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
The fan is meant to run constantly to evacuate the heat and gases from the pilot flame. Never switch off the power leaving the pilot on!

The cooker person should have turned off pilot when doing leak test. If it really had a gas leak then he should have turned it off unless it was small.

Sometimes the gas valve will leak when the pilot is turned off but that usually reseals itself if the pilot is turned off a few times.

Tony

Swiftflow 80 has a permanent pilot hence the fan runs permanently.

Thanks for the advise all. The guy had me worried there! Think I'll try another engineer to fit the cooker!

Sponsored Links
If I ever find a drop on an installation, even if it is withing legal tolerances and criteria, I always go roung all obvious joints and pipe work with my gas sniffer. More often than not it is an old ecv that is leaking due to the grease having dried up.

I have never found an ECV leaking.

Many gas valve leak a little to the pilot when the pilot is out though.

Most other leaks are on cookers, either the connections or the valves.

Tony

Agile said:

Very strange for a man of your experience :eek: I come across this quite often. At least this makes it a nice fast 1 hour call out from NG ;)

Many ball valve type EMC's will let by very slighly if the original service pipework has been re-lined. All the rust and scale gets pushed thorugh to the valve where it scores the PTFE seatings.

Remember I worked for the BBC and not BG.

I did come across one which was so loose it could be moved with one finger! Was not leaking though!

Another so tight that even a 12" spanner with me on the end would not move it so I was unable to do the tightness test. Landlady was meant to get it sorted and call me back to amend the CP12 but....

I still have not worked out the official way to remove those funny plastic security covers I very occasionally find.

Tony

gas4you said:
Agile said:

Very strange for a man of your experience :eek: I come across this quite often. At least this makes it a nice fast 1 hour call out from NG ;)

me too I have had many leak on me

but if you aint seen it you aint seen it, just "lucky" I guess

:)

Agile said:
Another so tight that even a 12" spanner with me on the end would not move it so I was unable to do the tightness test. Landlady was meant to get it sorted and call me back to amend the CP12 but....

This should have been called in by you to NG/TRANSCO. 1 hour repsonse as it is classed as uncontollable escape if you can't turn gas off :eek:

I still have not worked out the official way to remove those funny plastic security covers I very occasionally find.Tony

Do you mean on the govenor or around the meter unions?

Agile said:

Do you mean "let-by" or actually leaking, Tony - had two over here leaking from the plug just last week. :eek:

Many gas valve leak a little to the pilot when the pilot is out though.

You're right - condemned a Netaheat for exactly that on Monday. :(

Did a boiler repair for an 80+ year old bloke. Asked him if he was going to be in for the next few hours as I needed to call Transco out for an "ease and grease" on the siezed EMC valve.

He promptly produced a 4 foot steel pipe from the cupboard nearby that he used to turn off the gas when he went away. :eek:

Hate to think what would happen if he sheared the valve off - it had one of the old cast levers that are much stronger than the modern pressed jobs.

Saw a Transco eng. swap out an EMC without using the bungs. The pipe was about 1 1/4 in the back of a cupboard. A huge cloud of rust and scale bellowed out of the cupboard and up the hall way. :LOL: Just as well the customer was out. The idiot didn't even have goggles on. :rolleyes:

Gasguru said:
Saw a Transco eng. swap out an EMC without using the bungs. The pipe was about 1 1/4 in the back of a cupboard. A huge cloud of rust and scale bellowed out of the cupboard and up the hall way. :LOL: Just as well the customer was out. The idiot didn't even have goggles on. :rolleyes:

surprised he wasnt smoking a fag at the time. long before i got my reggy a transco guy turned up to my door smoking and then found the leak with his lighter :LOL:

i dont think you light gas with a cigarette!

Looks comical though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back