Combi boiler and cutting off water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install new bath taps, but have no issolation valve that I can see on the pipes meaning I have to turn off the supply from the mains.

Normally I would be happy to do this, but I have just had a new combi boiler fitted and am worried if I cut off the supply that it may run dry, cut off or do something I cant fix myself.

Any advice on what is the best way to go ahead?

Many thanks guys and gals

Jase

Sponsored Links
It's safe, just turn off the mains! Heating can/will still work ok.

What a fast response!

How about the pressure in the boiler? Would I need to increase the pressure after?

My thinking is that when I stop the infeed, and drain the taps then the water in the boiler will also be removed.

No it's a separate sealed system.The filling loop is supposed to be left removed, though few are, but it will have two taps and there's a non-return valve anyway.

Sponsored Links
Well I am confident now then that I can crack on with the work, I thank you Chris for your time and speed. :D

I was going to ask about the 2 valves on the boiler pipes (I have 6 pipes but 2 have a cut off valves similar to a washing machine pipe 1 red and 1 blue) and wether I have to close them, but will see how I get on!

Just thinking

When I run off the hot water tap, the water will come from the boiler and will enpty that.

Still safe to do that? Surely with the infeed closed, and hot water being drained it will run dry....

So this is a safe way then.

Will go ahead with that, and refill the system after. I can get the pressure up to 1.2 or so (amateurs!) so guess this is all I need to do.

Ta

mnjfranks said:
So this is a safe way then.

Will go ahead with that, and refill the system after. I can get the pressure up to 1.2 or so (amateurs!) so guess this is all I need to do.

Ta

all you need to do is turn off the stoptap you won't drain the boiler it's 2 seperate parts heating/water

But I will need to drain the bath and sink taps which will come from the boiler

Sorry if I seem very amateurish, but I am :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back