Rack bolts interchangeable ?

C

Coniferman

Have a rack bolt where the key keeps slipping but the keys are ok (ish) and work others, so I don't think just a new key will help. If I buy a new rack bolt, is it likely that I can get the old one out and replace it with the new one. i.e. will all the holes line-up and be the same size etc.

Planning to pick up a new one at the local diy on the way home tonight.

Sponsored Links
yes

but it is usually the key that wears out (it develops a groove)

to remove the old one, take the screws out of the face plate, wind the bolt out, and grab the bolt with large pliers, and wiggle it.

the faceplate is lightly peened onto the casing and will break off.

There is indeed a groove in the key, so I bought a new key but it is worse! It appears very slightly smaller than the original and does not even operate the "good" lock that the old key works with. Guess that means I will have to replace both locks to work with one key.

Oh well, nothings meant to be easy.

Sponsored Links
Typical - the original keys had a steel (?) barrel. The replacement keys which did not work well had brass barrels. So I bought a kit of two new locks which came with a steel key and this works fine with the existing locks.

One of the bolts does still seem a bit worn so may as well replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back