wall tie

I don't know, but you could expect a long life - 80- 100 years probably more?

These butterfly ties wont crack the joints as they are too thin. The older solid flat steel "fish tail" ties do the cracking.

I don't recall exactly, but I understood that there was a poor design or manufacture in the "old days" so the problem is limited to properties which used certain design of ties and/or in a certain location.

Nowadays many LA's like stainless steel or BBA approved plastic ties (up to three stories) and wont accept galvanised butterfly ties

Sponsored Links
without wanting to open a new thread what life should i expect from my wall ties, house was built in 1970 with the coathager style figure of 8. we live in dorset about 1 mile from see and house does see lots of wind, on a hill. i pursume the horizontal cracks would only appear on the outside not the inside? thanks

The horizontal cracking will generally only be visible externally as this is where the damage is caused to the tie ie where the weathering is. I removed some of my ties when I formed a window opening in my gable wall and they were the mild steel, galvanised 'fish tail' type. They were corroded were they were built in to the outer leaf of brick and slightly into the cavity void but were they were built into the inner leaf, they were fine.

If your ties are stainless steel as opposed to msg, then their lifespan would be far greater

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back