Switch next to Fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the switch is next to my main fuse box? It looks like a normal light switch. I know this might sound like an easy or stupid question, but would be grateful for any useful information
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Possibly for the door bell or an outside security light - could be anything.

I will try and get a photo. It is inside the cupboard right next to the CU, every house in the estate has one. I stopped in a B&B and it had a fuse box in the room, it also had a switch next to it so thought there must be common

Sponsored Links
It really, really, could be absolutely anything. Switches are often lcoated close to fuse boxes. Turn it off, see what doesn't work. We had a switch for t'mersion.

If it's on switch it off and look for something that no longer works. I would be surprized if it was your door bell because that's not something you want to turn off by accident. The same goes for alarms, redoubled in no trumps.

If it's off, switch it on and look for something you never knew you had. Has your TV picture suddenly got much better now that the aerial booster is switched on?

If I was the architect that switch would be for a cupboard light. Do you have one up in the top of the cupboard that you never noticed before because the bulb has gone?

It is actually quite common to put a switch for the door bell transformer - maybe just in my area.

If I was the architect that switch would be for a cupboard light.
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back