Flueless or Side vented power flue for fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fireplace that has a flue that goes straight out of the wall (balanced flue i think), however, i have now had an extension to the house so this is no longer an outside wall and now need to replace this fireplace (I dont have an outside wall anymore and i dont have a chimney).

I dont want an electric fireplace because i think they look naff so the choice was between a flueless or a side vented power flue.

The flueless option seemed a bit shady to me but it is a much cheaper option, however having read this forum it is very unlikely that i will go for this option now.

I would like your opinion on the side vented option as i cannot find anything about it on this forum or any other. The only company that do this type of fireplace that i can find is Magiglo.

http://www.magiglo.co.uk/products/duo_power.asp

click on 'Power Flue Venting Options' to see how the flue can be installed

Do you think that this would be a safer option than a flueless? or is there any other option i can have that i have not thought off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
These have been out at least 15 years so should be quite reliable now fans used to play up.. The actual flue that goes at skirting level is quite bulky so will be noticable

Haven't come across a power flue for quite a few years, do they still sound like a Harrier J/jet engine?

Even so it's a better option than a FL gas fire.

Al

Some are some are not. but don`t think i would have one in my house guess people get used to them

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys,

Namsag - would you not have one because of the noise or the safetey issues.

What other options do i have that imight not know about.

Perfectly safe they have several safety devices built in so no danger there . The ones with ear outlet with fan directly behind it are very noticeable regards noise.. Side flues are not too bad because the fan is situated away from the appliance in the outside wall.. Lag around it with fibre glass wool in cavity to deaden noise

What ever you do DON'T fit a flueless gas fire. They are a time bomb waiting to happen :eek:

What ever you do DON'T fit a flueless gas fire. They are a time bomb waiting to happen :eek:

Totally agree, I wouldn't even reccommend a FL gas fie to my ex wife :LOL:

Then again :evil:

Only kidding, only kidding folks :LOL: I personally hate the thought of fumes being spewed into a confined area, even with the reccommended air vents etc.

Al

Thanks for the advise guys, i wont be fitting a flueless fireplace.

Do you know of any other brands of the side vented fires and which one do you recommend as the only one that the local fireplace shops know about is magiglo?

Thanks

When they first came out they where called SEVENT . This was a universal fitting that accepted several fires don`t think they are still on the go though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back