New kitchen wiring but no RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has passed my number onto someone who wants a few sockets moved in their kitchen because they are having a new one fitted. They have an old type CU & there is no RCD protecting any of the sockets. The kitchen is on the same ring as the rest of the sockets in the house.

Do I suggest they have a new CU fitted ? or are there any other options ? I dont want to sound like I'm trying to rip them off.

Sponsored Links
Is the wiring / CU in good condition?

Does it take DIN rail devices, or is it an older 3036 type CU?

Will you need to carry out any other remedial work such as upgrading MEBs etc as part of the works?

To be honest I havent been round to look yet. I got the customer to explain the CU over the phone but when he said he had 1 30A plug in fuse for the sockets, I said I'll come round on Saturday to have a proper look.

What were your thoughts RF ?

My view: you advise sockets should be protected by RCD, explain why, and provide quote to either fit RCD or replace CU to rectify.

If client unwilling then move sockets as requested, replace at least one the fronts with an SRCD, so at least one socket can be used for equipment outdoors.

In this manner you have made the installation safer than before your work.

(obviously main bonding and earthing must be ok)

Sponsored Links
Norv

I'd reserve judgement until you've seen the installation.

One option I've used where customer had spent their 10k budget on new kitchen and didn't want to spend the extra few hundred on a new CU, was to put in a seperate 3 way CU with RCD and breaker to supply ring cct.

If the installation is in good nick, but just lacking RCD protectionthen you could either swap the MCB for an RCBO, or fit a seperate RCD in it's own enclosure.

If the installation is a bit knackered (brown wylex, no MEBs type of thing) then I'd be suggesting that a new CU would be a good idea. If the customer doesn't want this then just do as equitum suggested (the bare minimum permissable), and atleast then you have not left a non-compliant installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back