Can a pir be connected to alarm pannel with coax cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to conect a garage to my alarm pannel with a pir detector, The only spare cable that i have is a twin type coaxl cable would this be upto the job.

Sponsored Links
Short answer - No

Longer answer - An absolute minimum of 4 wires required, power & circuit

if you want to power it from the panel you need a minium of four wires, what types those wires are shouldn't matter much.

if you can arrange a seperate 12V supply for the PIR then you should be able to do it with only two wires.

Thanks for info, reason i ask is i am getting a house alarm installed and want to connect the garage with pir to system, but cannot run underground cable due to tarmac drive way, didnt want to use wirless pir due to other wireless equipment, the garage has a spare tv coaxl cable that runs to house attic, If i connect power to pir in garage would the centre core and outer shield of tv coax be enough to connect to alarm.

Sponsored Links
No installer would install a detector that way!

The power to the decetor needs to come from the central battery backed PSU in the panel, and their 'regs' require that proper alarm cable is used as well

Just stick with using the coax for a television :)

Get whoever is fitting your alarm to fit a wireless transmitter and reciever (a proper Scantronic model), with an additional power supply in the shed powering a dual tech detector (most standard passives will false alarm in a garage at some point)

Scott, which type of wired pir ( the phone co who are installing and mointring alarm fit only wired pirs) would be best suited to garage thus preventing false alarm, also there is 2 spare coaxl cables so was going to wire red and blue to 1 coaxl and yellow black to other, garage size is 30ft x 15ft, would a pet immune pir be best suited for garage as i have noticed the odd bird getting into garage through gap between roller door and ceiling, many thanks paul.

pet immune pir - that's for a small dog or cat in your house, not birds in your garage.
A dual detector (pir+microwave) is what you should be looking for

ps

adam_151 - what regs cover this then?

pet immune pir - that's for a small dog or cat in your house, not birds in your garage.
A dual detector (pir+microwave) is what you should be looking for

ps

adam_151 - what regs cover this then?

EN50513/PD6662 but a dueltech will still trigger with birds in a garage

[EN50513/PD6662 but a dueltech will still trigger with birds in a garage[/quote]

Especially if it's an owl or eagle but I don't think one of them is going to get between the roller door and the ceiling do you? - the odd sparrow should be (will be) ok though!

As for these standards? who is going to be visiting to see if this DIYer has or has not done something correctly or not - no one.

[EN50513/PD6662 but a dueltech will still trigger with birds in a garage

Especially if it's an owl or eagle but I don't think one of them is going to get between the roller door and the ceiling do you? - the odd sparrow should be (will be) ok though!

I`m glad I`m not your neighbour

As for these standards? who is going to be visiting to see if this DIYer has or has not done something correctly or not - no one.

we`eve a similar argument on a different forum - if its connected to the mains it comes under wiring regs and one of the ways to show you`ve done it safely is to install to PD

or are you saying the same lack of inspection applies to 240v wiring too

The reference to the regs was for an 'installer'. It was you who associated it to DIY.

certainly not good practice putting power down the coax like that, even if it does work.

The reference to the regs was for an 'installer'. It was you who associated it to DIY.

certainly not good practice putting power down the coax like that, even if it does work.
And I thought it was the DIYer from the opening post / question, I do wish people would read and understand the original question

Been putting power down coax for years with psu for masthead amps and distrubution systems etc etc, this system is going to be installed by alarm expert not by me, i was just trying to figure out way without breaking out driveway for 4 core to garage(**** that for a job) so will be connecting red and blue for pwer to 1 coax and yellow and black to other coax, The coax is high quality designed for direct burial so probbably will last years unlike the flimsy 4 core which would rot even if feed through pipe due to sweat rot etc thanks to all who gave info paul.

And I thought it was the DIYer from the opening post / question, I do wish people would read and understand the original question

the comment was made that " the TRADE wouldnt do this and REGS dont allow for it...." your the only one who hasnt been able to read the posts properly

so ? mains voltage regs - your saying there optional now ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back