pump pumping upwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. On a new open vent system, i know that the pump goes after the vent pipe and cold feed, but my question is would it be best 4 the pump if it pumped vertically upwards, vertically downwards or horizontally? Thank u 4 your time.

Sponsored Links
Hi all. On a new open vent system, i know that the pump goes after the vent pipe and cold feed, but my question is would it be best 4 the pump if it pumped vertically upwards, vertically downwards or horizontally? Thank u 4 your time.

depends on wether your hot water cylinder is above, below or on the same level as your pump.

depends on wether your hot water cylinder is above, below or on the same level as your pump.
Hi Bamber gaspipe and thanks 4 the reply. It is actually at the same level as my pump. But why the position of the cylinder would make a difference? Ta.

[quote="dotto";

Hi Bamber gaspipe and thanks 4 the reply. It is actually at the same level as my pump. But why the position of the cylinder would make a difference? Ta.

Because I don`t know wether the boiler is a freestanding, floor mounted boiler with the pump situated in your kitchen & the hot water cylinder is on the first floor.
Provide some details of your heating & hot water layout. :rolleyes:

Whichever way your flow pipe is facing/ flowing make sure the pump is flowing that way. ;)

Usually indicated by large arrow on pump stating ``Hey. D*ickhead, make sure I`m pointing this way``. ;)

Sponsored Links
[quote="dotto";

Because I don`t know wether the boiler is a freestanding, floor mounted boiler with the pump situated in your kitchen & the hot water cylinder is on the first floor.
Provide some details of your heating & hot water layout. :rolleyes:

Whichever way your flow pipe is facing/ flowing make sure the pump is flowing that way. ;)

Usually indicated by large arrow on pump stating ``Hey. D*ickhead, make sure I`m pointing this way``. ;)
Hi and thanks 4 the reply again.

Boiler is on ground floor and hot water cylinder and pump in the airing cupboard, cwsc and f & e in the loft. With this layout would you install the pump so that it pumps upwards or downwards and why?

Boiler is on ground floor and hot water cylinder and pump in the airing cupboard, cwsc and f & e in the loft. With this layout would you install the pump so that it pumps upwards or downwards and why?

I would probably make sure that the pump is installed pumping towards the hot water cylinder, i can`t be ar*sed explaining why because this is not an NVQ plumbing course.

Trust me it will work. ;)

But it will be better and last a dam sight longer Horizontally or vertically up

A pump will self vent if it pumps upwards!

However the over riding need is for the system to be vented if its open vented.

If sealed then adequate air vent points are required, competent installers use auto vents and then close them when all air has been ejected.

Tony

A pump will self vent if it pumps upwards!

However the over riding need is for the system to be vented if its open vented.

If sealed then adequate air vent points are required, competent installers use auto vents and then close them when all air has been ejected.

Tony
Thank u 4 your answer Tony. The reason why i am asking thios question is because i have received different views on this question. Some plumbers say that it should be pumping downwards so that you put less strain on the pump if pumping downwards and consequently it will last longer. If you put a deaerator in the system or you made an H to get rid of the air you would fit the pump pumping downwards or at least that is the argument that some plumbers seem to have. Since i know you are very knowledgeble, do you think they might have a point? Thank u 4 your time.

No Dotto; They haven't got a point, They are wrong the pump should be horizontally, with the axis of the pump slightly tilting upwards, or vertically with the arrow facing up.

No Dotto; They haven't got a point, They are wrong the pump should be horizontally, with the axis of the pump slightly tilting upwards, or vertically with the arrow facing up.
Doitall thank you very much 4 your time. What problems would you envisage if the pump was pumping downwards away from the vent pipe and cold feed?

The cold feed and vent will be the same in any orientation.

on an open vented system the pump can under certain conditions run dry, whereas pump up or horizontally it cannot.

On larger installations we often form an inverted U and sit the pump in the bottom, the same applies to secondary circuits, you always drop the pipe to a lower level and raise up the the cylinder, with the pump being in the up leg.

They are wrong the pump should be horizontally, with the axis of the pump slightly tilting upwards
Eh? Pump axis should be horizontal, as there are no end thrust bearings. Horizontal flow usually doesn't give problems with air in the pump, if that's what you meant?

. Some plumbers say that it should be pumping downwards so that you put less strain on the pump if pumping downwards and consequently it will last longer. Since i know you are very knowledgeble, do you think they might have a point? Thank u 4 your time.

People who say that have not understood the purpose of the circulator in a heating system!

There is exactly the same work require to circulate water regardless of which direction you fit the pump ( properly called a circulator! ).

Can you immagine a flywheel or bicycle wheel ? You have to apply the same force if you push up one side or pull down on the other!

The pump rotor should always be horizontal or inclined just a few degrees down to the vent screw. This is to stop air collecting at the vent screw and allowing the bearing at that end to run dry.

My trainee was meeting a plumber who had wrongly fitted a pump with the rotor vent upwards. The Trainee told him it was wrong. Like many ignorant plumbers, he replied that he "had fitted hundreds like that" as if that made it right. My trainee quick as a flash replied "then you have fitted hundreds wrongly!".

Tony

The pump rotor should always be horizontal or inclined just a few degrees down to the vent screw. This is to stop air collecting at the vent screw and allowing the bearing at that end to run dry.

Which counters what Doitall said:

They are wrong the pump should be horizontally, with the axis of the pump slightly tilting upwards, or vertically with the arrow facing up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back