DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Help replacing Newel Posts - pictures..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
FiscoKing

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm hoping to have my pine (white painted) newel posts and spindles \ rail replaced with a hard wood alternative, so that they all match.

The easiest way to do this is to replace them, but to do this, the floor has to be pulled up. This is bad news since I've just have the floors replaced (glued down and together). I've also had the place plastered, and I don't want cracks appearing in the stud walls near where the joiner has played tug-of-war with getting the things out.

With hindsight, I should have have the stairs replaced before all the new flooring went down, but I live and learn.

I've found what I think may be an alternative. You can cut the newel posts off at floor level, and drill a hole in the middle of what's left. You then buy a 'pin post' and glue (?) this in. The ground level set-up should look like this:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00457_s.jpg

What I'm unsure of is how this would work at the top of the stairs. If I cut the newel post of at floor level, there does not appear to be all that much left to drill into. See the pictures of my stairs top here:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00454_s.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00455_s.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00456_s.jpg

I know from when I had the floor up, there was a thick joist butting up to the last stair, and it would appear that the top newel post has been cut around this.

Can I still cut the newel post off at floor level and drill a hole for the pin post?

Please note that I will not be doing the actual work. I have a joiner who has his own shop in mind. But he seems to want to pull both posts out, and I'm not sure if he is just creating a bigger job for the sake of it, or if it genuinely cannot be done with the pin posts.

Thanks.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote

assuming your matching whats in the picture!!

not shure why you plant to cut at floor level!!!!

the bottom is several inches above the string the top needs to be the same to use the same length components and to look symetrical
 Alert Moderators
FiscoKing

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote

big-all: That's a very good point. If I make the posts symetrical, then there will be enough wood left for the pin hole.

Should have thought of that one myself icon_redface.gif

Thanks.
 Alert Moderators
IJWS15

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote

I did this with Burbidge components about 8 years ago. Their instructions include the dimensions ABOVE floor level you need to cut the newels and from memory this was different (but not very different) top and bottom. If you look at the brochure picture of the bottom newel you are left with a similar amount of original newel at the top of the stairs. Can't take a photo - we sold the house four years ago.

I would expect any other component supplier to provide similar instructions.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: