Moved house - bare wires all over - how can I make them safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I've moved house. The house needs updating including electrics. Meanwhile I want to make sure it's safe.
There are bare wires all over the place.

Some look like wall light wires, red & black and earth hanging out with connectors attached at end.

Others are just cut clean off flush with the wall and remain exposed.

There are more wires hanging out of walls and near skirting boards, just cut off!

How can I make these safe for now?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
disconnect them all

treat the house as a building site until you have it rewired

If the existing circuits are unsafe (as yours are) you can live surprisingly comfortably for a short time with a few new sockets, running some extension leads with table lamps, electric kettle, TV etc.

In my first ever house, i had just two double sockets :eek: run from a new switchfuse, one upstairs and one down, as the other 1925 fusebox, sockets and lighting circuits were so unsafe the electricity supplier refused to reinstate supply to them. This lasted me until i rewired and had my new installation reconnected.

It is easier and cheaper to rewire from scratch than to try to repair old wiring.

Rewiring is notifiable work.

If you post some pics, showing the things you mention, but also the incoming supply, company fuse, meter, consumer unit/fusebox, and the various wires and cables around and between them all, especially any green and yellow ones, we can make other suggestions.

Sponsored Links
I have taken photos and made 2 scrapbook prints to show the worst of it (some are in the bathroom :eek: ) and pictures of the fuse boxes - there seems to be 3 of them!
The rest of the house seems fine, some sockets are old and some are new type. The house is only 30 years old. I have a socket tester and the leds show that the sockets are wired OK.
I'm really hoping not to have to disconnect; I won't be able to afford electrician for another year!
Let me know if you need more detailed photos. I really appreciate the help!

Uh oh...

Someones been trying to do something out of the ordinary there... whats that DOL starter do?!

Though nothing to say that the guy who installed that stuff was the same one who took the light fixtures away!

Where abouts in the country are you?

The ones with connecters look like the fittings have been taken and are possibly still live

The cut cables look like work has been started , but not completed

Looks like you need someone on site to give it the once over

Judging by the amount of switches at the mains and all the unterminated cables, it seems the previous owner may have been a bit handy with electrics ,but never finished anything

I'm finding it really difficult to reconcile the work in the two photos as being by the same person...

Michelin - get your solicitor onto this - no way was the previous occupant allowed to leave it like that.

It`s not unusual to find the previous owner has removed their favourite fittings and "made safe by twisting and taping" :LOL:

Follow Ban`s advice ref solicitor

I see the previous guy hadn't got a label-maker

Or even a roll of white tape and a marker-pen.

Hi Guys!

Yes I had a top survey - just said electrics could do with updating!
I even had a builder quote before completion and he didn't think there was much wrong either.
Personally, I don't like the look of it at all. I'm quite worried.
Seems wrong to contact solicitor though. There was only a sweet old lady living here. Maybe her hubby did the work when he was alive (no obvious jokes here please!)?
I'm in south Devon.
There is no pond!
What is a DOL starter?
How can I tell if wires are live (safely :eek: )? and how can I make them safe for now???
Thanks for all joining in to help - you are all great!
You should see the gas boiler (a separate post I feel)!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back