Green Slime Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found this on Friday, luckily it was only a short length feeding an unfused spur on the other side of a wall.

Green Slime!

rSP_A0036.jpg

Yes, there was an FCU there at one point, the cables weren't even twisted together, they were just taped together!

rSP_A0026.jpg

Someone has obviously drilled through the cable and put some connector blocks in (yes, 15 amp as well) and just to make it an even better fire risk they've packed around it with hardboard, cardboard and chipboard.

rSP_A0029.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Maybe a stupid question, but what is this green slime stuff?

iirc it is the result of a reaction between the plasticiser in some old PVC cables and the copper wire.

Sponsored Links
Spark123, anyone can use it, I'm proud of it.

The pic was taken on the side of the unfused spur that was in a conservatory (the other side was not as green) and had been installed for around 12 years (DIY old cable re-use job) so had been subjected to a lot of heat during the summer hence the volume of 'fairy liquid' that had acumulated in a relatively short time.

The job was to add a fcu next to the spurred socket to feed an old street lamp in the garden that the customer has recently aquired, which I will be connecting shortly (may be posting for advice shortly as its not really my area) so the cable was to be replaced in the process of making the double socket and fcu part of the ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back