Woodchip and Silk paint!!!! Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can there be a worse comination???

Ive spent an hour with the steamer and scraper, and ive removed around 1sm, at this rate the room is going to take me 20 hours just to do the ceiling.

Any tips out there???

Sponsored Links
Difficult,but you could try to scour it with a blade first to allow steam to penetrate.You can buy a gadget like a knife on wheels to scour dont know where though!
Paul

Can there be a worse comination???

Oh yes there can ! - try several layers of paint and instead of having been put up on plaster or plasterboard it's apparent that the previous owners have used something akin to cardboard for the partition. Many hours later with one square foot of half peeled cardboard exposed it just seemed easier to line with thick lining paper and use extra thick blown vinyl...
wire brushing - not too vigorously, scoring and elbow grease will do the job eventually.

I managed to get the 20sm room ceiling stripped in 2 and 1/2 hours and i promise the stuff was stuck fast

STAGE 1 - visit to B&Q for hammilton 6 inch scraper, wallpaper stripper solution and a wallpaper scraper

STAGE 2 - Score the wallpaper with scorer, then rolled on wallpaper stripper

Stage 3, leave for 10 mins with steamer on resting on top of ladders, fill room with steam

Stage 4, repeat 2 and 3

Stage 5 Repeat 4

Then with steamer, steam and use scraper, came off in lumps!!!!

Even thinking of tackling all the other woodchip now!

Sponsored Links
The trick is to use the Hamilton 6" on the DRY wood chip to cut all the chips off and expose the paper underneath. Then use hot water/roller/ fairy liquid and keep rolling it over time after time. Then have lunch. When you get back you are ready to peel it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back