wall tie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house need new wall tie now i wonder do i need to take out the old one or i can leave them there and just drill new hole above it or below?

Sponsored Links
if the problem is old steel ties expanding due to corrosion and cracking the joints, then they will continue to do so untill removed

...then they will continue to do so untill removed
Not for ever and ever, there is a finite amount of rusting that can take place until the tie falls apart. However, by that time they will have caused some significant cracks, of course...

Sponsored Links
when i used to do wall tie replacement,we used to expose the old tie with a metal detector and using a foam gun pump foam all round it,let it dry and point as necessary.we asked the council inspector if what we were doing was ok and he agreed it was a novel way of doing it because if and when the tie expands any more it will expand into the foam.

im going back about 15 years ago so no doubt the current ledgistration is probably a lot tougher?.

How does that work then?

The tie is bedded in the mortar and as it rusts, it expands and while cracking the mortar it is still in contact with the mortar top and bottom - so I can't see how this foam will envelop the tie to prevent it getting damp and expanding further :confused:

dunno,im sure i was told how it worked but looking back maybe it didnt :oops:

It would work if you exposed all the tie to get the foam around it, but it would be difficult.

If the mortar was cut out with a disk saw around the tie, then the tie would be ground away too, so then just repoint.

Or may be just as easy to cut the brick out (save it), then if the tie can't be cut off or pulled out, then just bend it downwards in the cavity.

But if the corrosion is affecting (or may affect) the internal leaf then the tie should be removed

It definitely wouldn't work, unless you could stop the rusting process and the only way you could do that would be to cocoon it, which that method wouldn't do.

Still, someone made some money out of it for a while :)

I had new cavity wall ties installed about 3 or 4 years ago. The contractor cut-out the mortar around the existing corroding ties and put some sort of sleeve over them which I think had a grease compound in it. The gaps where then pointed-up in sand and cement and there has never been any sign of the previous horizontal cracking in the bed joints re-opening up, so everything is ok :LOL:

So...the wall tie has a sleeve around it, within which is a grease. So that's stopped any further corrosion, but what's happened to the bond between the tie and the mortar?

Oh, that's gone, so the wall tie actually is serving no purpose and is incapable of tying the leaves together.

Smart system that....

Hi Shytalkz.

The OP's question was specifically only regarding their existing ties and what to do with them and my answer kind of only referred to what was done with my existing ties but, the first line in my post does read "I had new cavity wall ties installed......" but to clarify, the contractor initially drilled and installed new wall ties through the existing outer leaf and into the inner leaf of brickwork. They then isolated the existing corroded ties with the sleeves which I mentioned ;)

Ahah, thanks for the clarification - now that makes perfect sense.

without wanting to open a new thread what life should i expect from my wall ties, house was built in 1970 with the coathager style figure of 8. we live in dorset about 1 mile from see and house does see lots of wind, on a hill. i pursume the horizontal cracks would only appear on the outside not the inside? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back