Gas Safety Certificate -expired, new inspection with warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a Gas Safety Inspection on boiler on last day of current Gas Safety Certificate.

Plumber didn't issue new gas safety certificate, is going to give Warning that flue fixing needs to be replaced, it's rusted & breaking up, but still solid with no movement, so I assume I don't have current gas safety certificate.

What is situation regarding Gas Safety Certificate when it has expired, new inspection done with Warning & work to do ??

How long do you have to get the work done ??

Sponsored Links
I not aware that you have any time but must get the work down immeadiatly

He said it was a Warning, is that the same as a Fail ??

i was under the impression that an rgi has to issue the safety cert no matter what problems there are present. the cert would reflect this and thereby warn any tenants of the issues. if remedial work is done the paperwork for this remedial work is kept with the cert to inform that the work had been carried out but another "clean" cert should not be issued.

thats how we have to do it at BG but im not sure if thats merely their policy or not.

Sponsored Links
i was under the impression that an rgi has to issue the safety cert no matter what problems there are present. the cert would reflect this and thereby warn any tenants of the issues. if remedial work is done the paperwork for this remedial work is kept with the cert to inform that the work had been carried out but another "clean" cert should not be issued.

thats how we have to do it at BG but im not sure if thats merely their policy or not.
I would have thought you have to issue Pass or Fail certificate, something, so it's all recorded, like MOT.

I saw him checking the flue, heard him say it was solid, although circular clip has rusted & broken, but still solid where flue connects to remainder of clip on the flue.

The same plumber checked it last year & made a note on certificate that bracket was rusty.

Thought everything was ok, as whole inspection was quick, probably 10-15 minutes, then as he was leaving I asked if he left certificate, he just said he can't as bracket needs doing this time, he will issue warning at office.

Maybe he forgot the certificates !!

I agree with nickso on this. I always issue a certificate regardless of the outcome but make it clear what, if any, problems/faults there are accompanied by the appropriate warning notice.

The flue is fixed to wall by a circular clip with 6"+ rod/pin going into wall.
This clip has rusted & broken on side away from rod/pin.

How much roughly would it cost to replace ??

I would have thought you have to issue Pass or Fail certificate, something, so it's all recorded, like MOT.

I saw him checking the flue, heard him say it was solid, although circular clip has rusted & broken, but still solid where flue connects to remainder of clip on the flue.

The same plumber checked it last year & made a note on certificate that bracket was rusty.

Thought everything was ok, as whole inspection was quick, probably 10-15 minutes, then as he was leaving I asked if he left certificate, he just said he can't as bracket needs doing this time, he will issue warning at office.

Maybe he forgot the certificates !!

a cert is like a gas version of an mot. the cert does have pass or fail written on it and the RGI notes which it is, pass or fail.

it doesnt matter if its a pass or fail in regards to the cert as he should be leaving you seperate paperwork that notes the problem and hopefully some sort of remedial action. after you get it fixed he gives you paperwork that says its safe, pretty much like gas4you said above.

i dont think your guy is very good TBH. 15 mins? a little quick. what boiler is it? please dont tell me its open flue.

a cert is like a gas version of an mot. the cert does have pass or fail written on it and the RGI notes which it is, pass or fail.

it doesnt matter if its a pass or fail in regards to the cert as he should be leaving you seperate paperwork that notes the problem and hopefully some sort of remedial action. after you get it fixed he gives you paperwork that says its safe, pretty much like gas4you said above.

i dont think your guy is very good TBH. 15 mins? a little quick. what boiler is it? please dont tell me its open flue.
It's a Vokera Excell 80SP in an adjoining storage outbuilding.

What's open flue ??
The flue comes out the wall, turns 90deg & is fixed with the pin & circular clip.

I thought certificates were only issued for Pass.
Looking at my old ones, I now see there are sections for Fail & remedial work etc.

No doubt I'll find out on Monday what's going on.

Thanks

Ps: can you now upload photos to this website, is that new ??

there is no pass/fail scenario with a gas certificate, if its not up to scratch a certificate must still be issued, especially when flue/ventilation issues are involved. Last man on the job would be held responsible in the unlikely event something nasty was to happen. He/she called found a fault and should have notified you in written form at the time, it's called covering your ar*se.

on my gas cp12 it askes is the apliance safe to use and i would write NO.
but this scernario would be classed as not to current standards and i would note that new clip was needed if the flue was secure but a pic would help.

From these pics it seems to me that the bracket is the least of the problems. The flue termination appears to be illegal to me.

How about more pics from more angles?

This is a terrible lash up. Just the sort of thing one finds on 'buy to let.'

We can't see where the boiler is from the pictures but I suspect the flue couldn't be terminated in the proper way due to window proximity, so some joker has extended it outside using internal flue components and a piece of chain.

I expect you will end up ripping it all out and fitting a new boiler with plume management.

If you are a Landlord I strongly advise you to obtain the cheapest possible quote, that way you can be assured of a good job. :LOL:

From these pics it seems to me that the bracket is the least of the problems. The flue termination appears to be illegal to me.

How about more pics from more angles?
Only in last couple of years the flue has been put down to Not to Current Standards, it's been like that since 1995.

The boiler is in the outbuilding to left of flue.
In 1st picture the flue continues to left for about a foot before turning into this outbuilding.

My backdoor is a foot from that turn, there is a flat above with backdoor & stairs leading down which you can see in 2nd/3rd pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back