copper or plastic pipework for heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had originally specified copper pipework for my Mum's house refurb, as I thought this would be superior, but my previous experience has been primarily with non-domestic projects and I'm a bit out of date too.

The plumber advises he ldoes ike copper, but it will be extra cost and an extra week's labour to use copper rather than plastic. The plastic product he says he's use is 'Hep2' (which I assume is same as Hep2o). He says he can mix between the two types if necessary, but I'm not sure if that would be best practice, also whether earth bonding gets complicated with changing between.

Which is the better product? Is it worth paying the extra for the copper? Is it generally advisable to mix between the two materials? Also, Is one more environmentally sustainable that the other?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it doesn't make any odds.

an extra week does not sound right at all.

make sure any hep is out of sight as it looks sh**e.

Copper looks better without a doubt,but plastic is quieter as it doesnt tick when poorly installed as copper does.
You can also mix them together ,but i tend to use plastic where its not visible and always use copper where it is visible.
And as for enviromentally ,then copper can be used ,melted down and re-used over and over again.

I just have these images of speedfit fittings blowing under pressure however I know they wont. If its to be visible use copper be it at cost, if its under floorboards to run pipework use plastic, much easier to work with and much quicker to install.

Sponsored Links
Copper will probably last longer, but Hep2o is the best plastic product out there and provided it's been installed correctly it shouldn't give you any problems in your lifetime. You can mix between the two - generally Hep2o is used where you can't see it, then it's switched for copper where you can. Hep2o is also easier to run through joists - building regs limit us heavily on what we can notch out of the top, so generally plastic is run through holes drilled at the vertical centre of a joist. Earth bonding shouldn't be a problem, or even necessary in most cases.

As for which is more "environmentally sustainable" (damn I hate that phrase...), copper is recyclable whereas I don't think Hep2o is, Hep is a plastic and is therefore made from crude oil, copper must be dug up from the ground, where it is suspended in ore and requires extraction by crushing up the ore and heating it up, probably using a fossil-fuel powered furnace. Neither process is particularly good for the environment.

I personally prefer Polyplumb to hep as you dont have to be as precise when pushing together, wheras hep sometimes gets stuck if not pushed in dead square.

Really useful stuff, many thanks everyone.

Sorry about use of term 'environmentally sustainable' but you knew what I was getting at. Agree they're both pretty bad - better not to heat the house at all really and avoid both the materials and the gas comsumption! (have put a lot of insulation and draughproofing in wherever practical working towards that end...)

sounds like copper exposed and plastic.

As he suggested Hep2 himself, I'm guessing he is happy with that, although (Lagunaglen) does the problem with hep getting stuck affect teh installation quality afterwards?

Copper looks better without a doubt,but plastic is quieter as it doesnt tick when poorly installed as copper does.

Plastic does tick.

Avoid push-fit fittings. use quality compression on plastic.

Plastic does tick.

Avoid push-fit fittings. use quality compression on plastic.

Sadly, I can't believe I am doing this, agreeing with Dr D, he is correct. plastic 'ticks' as much as copper. I have a newish build house full of plastic and the 'ticking' really winds me up.

Can't be ar*ed to pull the floors up at present to sort it though.

I replumbed my house 2 yrs ago in copper,the only plastic used is temporary till i do the bathroom/kitchen

I use hep2o/polyplumb at work but only to get over problems where it would be difficult to use copper

As a general rule,when laying new runs its easier using copper as hep coils and needs clipping where as copper lays flat

It would take hardly any more time to fit if done by a competent plumber

Once a solder join is fitted it will never leak , cant be so confident about an o`ring in a push fit join

Its a personal choice at the end of the day

Also rodents LOVE plastic fittings to gnaw their teeth on :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back