water gathering on bath top causing limescale nastiness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(i hope i dont come across as being a complete girl (which i am)...)

we had a new bathroom suite fitted about six months ago by my boyfriend and some how it would seem that the bath slopes down slightly, meaning that when we have a shower (which is over the bath) the water gathers behind the tops causing lots of limescale.

is there anything we can do to prevent this build up of water? to try and redo the whole bath would be too much hassle as we have tiled above and where the side bath panel would go.

i have read some other posts about limescale and ventilation problems but that would still not get away from the fact that the water just settles and stays on the bath top for some time after the shower ends.

hope someone can help... any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
hel - the limescale is left behind after the water has evaporated so mop-up the standing water with a cloth when finished showering. The only alternative is to re-align the tub.

mop-up the standing water with a cloth when finished showering.

Good advice. Always worth doing "everytime" after using the bath or shower. Many a bath/shower room been ruined by people not drying up after using it. It only takes a couple of minutes. Dry the tiles off too. ;)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
if you fit (i cant remember the exact word) "bath edging" the water will run into the bath.

lets look at that again.

water will run, as it does it will leave small water marks.

only real solution is as said already to wipe all surfaces afeter use. keep it up and bath should look like new for some time

thanks for all your comments. i will certainly try the cloth trick, hopefully that will work.

one last thing seen as im on here - what can i use to get off the limescale? it is caked on... nice

You can buy limescale remove...read the instructions..not suitable for all materials.
If its really caked on you may need to scrape it off...take care.

hel - you can use the weak stuff available from supermarkets (limescale remover) and wait, and wait, and wait for it to work. Or get some mortar cleaner (sometimes called brick cleaner) from a builders merchant ... it's designed to remove lime (including limescale), cement, etc. - fantastic stuff for cleaning basins, sinks, baths, taps and bogs. Use the search function above as I've posted loads of times before about how to use this stuff ... it'll even de-scale your kettle.

yellow lemon.

honest, lemon juice (must be fresh lemon, not that stuff for pancakes) works but does take time

(i hope i dont come across as being a complete girl (which i am)...)

we had a new bathroom suite fitted about six months ago by my boyfriend and some how it would seem that the bath slopes down slightly, meaning that when we have a shower (which is over the bath) the water gathers behind the tops causing lots of limescale.

is there anything we can do to prevent this build up of water? to try and redo the whole bath would be too much hassle as we have tiled above and where the side bath panel would go.

i have read some other posts about limescale and ventilation problems but that would still not get away from the fact that the water just settles and stays on the bath top for some time after the shower ends.

hope someone can help... any advice would be appreciated
When we moved into our house, the bath was like this. It was like this at both sides too, so I would suggest it was a design fault.
When I re-fitted the bathroom, I took a straight edge with me when selecting the bathroom furniture. I put it across the width of the bath to check that both sides were designed to slope inwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back