Cable selection for External Sign Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be installing 2 Sodium Lights 70w and 2 external spot lights for some shop signs.

The total distance is 30m and 1.5mm cores will be sufficient.

The only thing I cannot decide on is the cable type.

All the cable is to be clipped direct, half in a 'covered' area about 4m up the rest runs externally approximately 4m at the highest point and 3m at the lowest.

There will probably be a photocell or 2 (waiting for decision). The feed will be run to an external juntion box then to the photocell then to external junction boxes from which each luminaire will be connected.

Glands etc naturally

I think SWA is overkill, Hi-tuf possibly but was also considering 3183TRS Rubber coated flex.

I am unable to decide and would like some advice from those of you with a little more experience than myself

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Christ a need a week in Dublin!!!!1

Thanks Rob, I have 100m of the stuff left over from a night club in London!!

Mind you it is white I bet they don't want white!!

Cheers, by the way just how suitable is 3183 for external applications?

PYRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Tad over the price they may be thinking of, still all that therapeautic cutting, ang potting................................................ :LOL:

I'm not entirely sure TBH.

Rubber does perish, but I don't know if the weather makes it worse?

Also, you might have a job making it look neat.

You can get black FP200. We used to use it a lot for outside sign lighting when I was pub fitting.

Sponsored Links
Do chitty do black?

I've used 3183 for some flood lights, somewhere, i don't know where, i read it was suitable for external applications but i cannot find the article to confirm it.

Cheers, will be passing Silverdale on Tueday, lookout for the drop!!

It'll probably have to be ordered from doncaster, but they should have it in stock in the warehouse.

I hope you don't beat me on price for that silverdale job. :LOL:

Whats the environment? By a road, path etc?

How high are you mounting it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back