Celing double pole switch

Law

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.I work in a hotel and a guest said the electric shower in her room was working and then it cut out suddenly with no power or signs of life. I\\\'ve looked at the fuse box on that floor and nothing seems to be amiss and the lights in that bedroom and bathroom are working.
The red light on the pull chord switch to supply electricity to the shower isn\\\'t on(despite the plastic tag saying it is) so I am assuming there is a fuse gone. Being no electrician, can anyone please advise on what to look for or to do in trying to get this shower going again.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Lawrence

Sponsored Links
because you are in a commercail premmises (hotel) you will not be insured should anything go wrong :cry: best call an electrician

Same thing's happened to me at home

Shower was working, then it suddenly cut out.

The red light on the pull cord switch has gone out, and so there's no power getting to the shower ... I've checked the fuse box and the fuse is still fully intact.

I'm *guesing* therefore, that it's the switch. Any advice/ideas on how I can get it working? Do I need to replace the switch, or is there maybe an internal fuse or something I can replace?

garyd said:
I'm *guesing* therefore, that it's the switch. Any advice/ideas on how I can get it working?
Remove the fuse.

Take the cover off the switch and carefully use your multimeter to check that the supply is dead. Check for loose connections, signs of damage etc. If the cable insulation shows signs of overheating then you must cut it back to an undamaged position.

If there's nothing apparently wrong, temporarily replace the fuse and carefully use your multimeter to check that the supply is reaching the switch.

If it is, then the switch is b*ggered. If not then you have a problem elsewhere.

Do I need to replace the switch,
Possibly. One indication - does it still have the same "feel" when you pull the cord?

or is there maybe an internal fuse or something I can replace?
There are no fuses in it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice, I had removed the cover last night and there doesn't appear to be any visible damage to the wiring ... that's another reason I felt it might be the switch.

It was just process of elimination really given the light isn't coming on any more when the switch is pulled ... makes me suspect it's either the switch or something between that and the fusebox at least.

In the summer, I replaced the shower for a 10.5Kw model, having checked the supply cable is 10mm, all seemed OK ... however the switch is older, and has no visible indication of the rating, so I suppose there's potential it's too low for the new shower - I assume any replacement should be 45a?

Possibly. One indication - does it still have the same "feel" when you pull the cord?

It still feels pretty much the same - though the cord has been known to be tempramental in the past: sticking in the 'on' or 'off' positions etc.

Thanks again, will give it a go....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back