45a Pole Switch Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hifolks,

Sorry to pester everyone on this fine day.

The missus was cooking lunch this afternoon for some guests and the hob went off. I noticed the neon light on the pole switch was off but the red button was on. I tried to switch it off and on again but the switch would not switch off, at this point the neon light started to flicker but would not switch on.

The electric oven was ok, the extracter fan was ok but the pole switch seems buggered but the rest of teh house electrics was ok. Any pointers as to what happened? I note the missus was using all four sections of the hob which is unusual for us and leads me to beleive the pole switch may have been overheating with the warm conditions in the kitchen. I switch off at teh MCB, lchecke the wiring within teh pole switch and put it back and still it would not switch off. However the neon light came on and the hob cam eback to life but the switch will not switch off???

I need to repalce teh pole switch but:

1) Could i do it rather than a electrician?

2) could the pole switch be left lik ethis for a few days before its changed?

3) Why can't i switch it off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are probably correct. The switch has failed and you need to get a new one.

It probably failed either becuase its been getting all steamy (they dont like it) or one of the connections is loose and this has caused the cable to heat up.
You'll find out when you remove the switch. TURN THE POWER OFF BEFORE YOU UNDO THE SCREWS. You dont know what is in there.

Its a simple job to replace and any competent DIYer who can use a screwdriver should be able to do it.

You are probably correct. The switch has failed and you need to get a new one.

It probably failed either becuase its been getting all steamy (they dont like it) or one of the connections is loose and this has caused the cable to heat up.
You'll find out when you remove the switch. TURN THE POWER OFF BEFORE YOU UNDO THE SCREWS. You dont know what is in there.

Its a simple job to replace and any competent DIYer who can use a screwdriver should be able to do it.

Hi,

Thnaks for that.

I may attempt it myself, the only problem is its in an awkward position and the wires within in seem short. Anyway i did turn the power off before i looked. On the new switch it has a feed points and a load point, presumbly feed is power from CU and load is for the wires for the hob?

ta.

Sponsored Links
yes that is correct.

If the wires have been heat damaged, then you must cut off all the discoloured copper and replace it, otherwise the tarnished copper will cause a high resistance joint, and this will cause the new switch to burn out too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back