DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

HELP Boiler working water heating BUT radiators not heating?


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
khyberpass

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Location: Shropshire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote

As above, suddenly the house radiators have stopped heating up.

I've got a baxi solo 2 50 rs boiler which is working fine. Pilot on, fires up on own, or can activate by turning thermos. Honeywell thermos. 1 in hall, and 1 in garage (where boiler is).

water is heating. got gas supply as heating lounge fire....
but suddenly none of the radiators will get any heat...

can you help with if its me being a numbnuts, or what the likely cause is.

thanks
Back to top
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Stingray13

from United Kingdom

Joined: 09 Sep 2007
Posts: 865
Location: Kent,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 58 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote

try switching the 3port valve to manual see if the radiators warm up sounds like a 3 port problem
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
khyberpass

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Location: Shropshire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote

Stingray13 wrote:
try switching the 3port valve to manual see if the radiators warm up sounds like a 3 port problem
i

Many thanks for the reply Stingray. sorry for my ignorance... Where would I find this 3 port valve and how would i switch to manual?

thanks
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Posts: 17604
Location: Norfolk,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 747 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Probably in your airing cupboard next to the HW cylinder. You may have a 3 port valve or 2 x 2 port valves, in which case it will be the heating one that gas failed.

All the above assumes it is a fully pumped system you have. If by any slight chance it is a gravity system, then it will be the pump that is knackered.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
khyberpass

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Location: Shropshire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote

gas4you wrote:
Probably in your airing cupboard next to the HW cylinder. You may have a 3 port valve or 2 x 2 port valves, in which case it will be the heating one that gas failed.

All the above assumes it is a fully pumped system you have. If by any slight chance it is a gravity system, then it will be the pump that is knackered.


Thanks Dave.

As you thought. Its a Drayton MA1 and all 3 pipes are red hot. No obvious way of switching manually though that I could see?

it doesnt look like others with a simple turn screw on?
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
MANDATE

from United Kingdom

Joined: 06 Mar 2003
Posts: 2290
Location: Manchester,
United Kingdom
Thanked: 129 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote

When both HW and CH is selected, the valve should automatically move to the correct position according to what is satisfied and what still needs to be satisfied.
There is a time when both HW and CH are both in demand so the valve takes up the middle position and works as it should. The problem arises when HW becomes satisfied, so the valve moves over to CH only. This closes the HW port and opens up the CH port fully and also triggers a micro switch to fire the boiler.
The usual problem is that the valve does not move to CH only or if it does the boiler does not light due to faulty micro switch.
There is a slight chance the wiring that provides the power to move the valve from mid position onwards is at fault (grey wire).
There is also a chance that the valves spindle is stiff, making it too hard for the motor to overcome.
There is a higher chance that the motor is faulty and there is a similar chance that the micro switch is faulty.
If you can verify the valve moves to the 3 different positions, you then know it's the micro switch and a replacement actuator head is needed.
Note not all valves are constructed in a way that permits a replacment heat, so it may have to be a new complete valve.
Using the lever on the side to latch the valve in midposition does not however cure the problem.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
khyberpass

from United Kingdom

Joined: 28 Feb 2009
Posts: 4
Location: Shropshire,
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote

MANDATE wrote:
When both HW and CH is selected, the valve should automatically move to the correct position according to what is satisfied and what still needs to be satisfied.
There is a time when both HW and CH are both in demand so the valve takes up the middle position and works as it should. The problem arises when HW becomes satisfied, so the valve moves over to CH only. This closes the HW port and opens up the CH port fully and also triggers a micro switch to fire the boiler.
The usual problem is that the valve does not move to CH only or if it does the boiler does not light due to faulty micro switch.
There is a slight chance the wiring that provides the power to move the valve from mid position onwards is at fault (grey wire).
There is also a chance that the valves spindle is stiff, making it too hard for the motor to overcome.
There is a higher chance that the motor is faulty and there is a similar chance that the micro switch is faulty.
If you can verify the valve moves to the 3 different positions, you then know it's the micro switch and a replacement actuator head is needed.
Note not all valves are constructed in a way that permits a replacment heat, so it may have to be a new complete valve.
Using the lever on the side to latch the valve in midposition does not however cure the problem.


Thanks Mandate.

cant see valves switching. I asssume this means its just sitting in HW only, which would explain why no CH at any time (I would have assumed that CH would be in operation if it was ever in the middle position?)

Grey wire appears securely connected.

Gave the thing a tap to see if it might free up...but nothing. (yes the height of my technical skills!)

Sounds like its a job for a plumber now ...

Many thanks for everyones help.
Back to top
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Similar Topics   Replies   Views   Posted 
Radiators not heating up but hot water working 3 920 Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:20 pm
Central Heating Radiators not all working 2 60 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 pm
central heating not working after new radiators fitted 5 840 Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 am
TWO RADIATORS NOT WORKING WHEN OIL CENTRAL HEATING ON! 9 560 Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:02 pm
Trianco Boiler working, radiators cold , no hot water. 8 100 Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm


 
DIYnot
Find an Expert | Find a Supplier | Search DIYnot.com
Network | Advertising | Newsletter
DIY | DIY How To | @home | DIY Wiki | DIY Forum
By using this site you agree to our Terms of Service / Disclaimer.
Please read our Privacy Policy. Copyright © 2000-2014 DIYnot Limited.