Adding a new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to add an upstairs toilet to the bathroom. The current toilet downstairs has the waste going directly under the concrete floor, and there is no other soil pipe. The only waste pipe is from the bathroom on the first floor. Is it possible to use this waste for the upstairs toilet, do I need to increase the size or do I need to add a separate soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
You will need another soil pipe.
You will need to employ a builder to dig up and lay pipes up to it.
Not a cheap job and BCO will need to check it.
Few hundred quid there :cry:

does the toilet d/stairs not have a vent pipe on the outside? could he not use this ?

sesi41 said:
I am going to add an upstairs toilet to the bathroom.

Is this new toilet to be on the first floor in a bathroom without a toilet or second floor ?

The only waste pipe is from the bathroom on the first floor. Is it possible to use this waste for the upstairs toilet, do I need to increase the size?

what is the diameter of this waste pipe and where does it go to?

Sponsored Links
From my experiences with Saniflo, I would say stay as far away from them as you can. These macerators are not cheap, and in many cases it works out no more expensive to have a proper soil stack. Every bathroom I have ever been in with a macerator smells of hydrogen sulphide (i.e. stinks of rotting poo) . My parents have one that failed, Saniflo replaced it on warranty but claimed that the reason it failed was because they had the audacity to use bleach in the toilet. Well excuse me, but what else do you pour down a toilet that smells of rotting poo?

And you can't explain to every female visitor who comes to your house "Just in case it is your time of the month, please don't drop any mice down the toilet.". Or to every couple who come and stay at your house "If you do get up to anything in the spare room, make sure you don't flush any propholactics you have used."

Avoid them like the plague. They are a sure route to misery, embarassment and expense.

Thanks for all the replies, to answer some of the questions.

The existing toilet on the ground floor does not have a vent pipe on the outside, it goes directly into the concrete floor, and I assume into the drains.

The new toilet is to be on the first floor, in a bathroom, currently without a toilet.
The waste pipe that is currently in place is for the bath and sink waste and this goes into a down pipe which is approx 3" in diameter. This goes directly into the drive and again I suspect into the drains.
Could this be used/adapted for the soil pipe, and if so could the bath and sink waste's be connected into it..?

Thanks for the advice on the Saniflow.

I'm afraid all this seems to confirm the advice given by Bahco in his first reply, start saving dude.

All comments about the Saniflo Macerators and Pumps are unfounded. I am a sewage pump engineer with 20 years experience of these systems. More than 95% of the problems are caused by poor installation and also by incorrect usage of the system. It must be remembered they do not provide conventional toilet facilities in that the user has to be careful what is flushed down the toilet.

(Poor installation since we are one of the few countries in Europe who permit DiY'ers to purchase a bag of tools from B&Q or Wickes and call themselves plumbers. In France Germany etc the level of spares sold is very low compared with the sales of parts in the UK. This knowledge comes from my experience as an installer and service engineer.)

Saniflo UK provides an excellent Technical Helpline and over 100 qualified service engineers - and like all electro mechanical products if you use cowboy installers you get coyboy results. Please also note that Saniflo's parent company in France also make a product called Turboflush which is not of as high a quality as mainstream Sanipro Products.

Many retailers who claim to be selling Saniflo products are actually selling Turboflush units

Rather than get into a pointless Yes It Is, No It Isn't battle, may I suggest the answer is in the postings!
Saniflo has
an excellent Technical Helpline and over 100 qualified service engineers

Great! If I always recommend my customers buy Saniflos AND get all the service and repair they need from Saniflo too, then everyone will be happy! Maybe?

Questions: what's Saniflo's standard call-out charge? and hourly rate? And if I recommend the thing, the customer always calls Saniflo to fix it, and does not really like it anyway (in particular, the noise. No-one mentioned that yet) what's in it for me? Not a lot. Further hint: if the average cost of a repair call is more than £100, after a couple of those Jo Punter will be back on the phone to me, to persuade me to fix it instead, and cheaper. Which are the two things I was trying to avoid in the first place.

The reliability or otherwise of the macerator is irrelevant. A new soil stack is going to cost money. A macerator is also going to cost money. The soil stack has no moving parts to wear out. The macerator does. The macerator will fail if you lose power. The soil stack won't. The soil stack will take almost anything you throw at it. The macerator apparently has limitations.

I would ALWAYS opt for the simple solution, even if it costs more initially.

Here's a bit of sideways thinking. Is there any chance you could move your downstairs toilet sideways? The idea is to use the existing drain socket as the bottom of your new soil stack. The old toilet can tee into the side of this nice new pipe and so can the new one. Apart from the need to move your one functioning toilet, the only drawback is that your soil stack will be inside the house.

Bahco said:
You will need another soil pipe.
You will need to employ a builder to dig up and lay pipes up to it.
Not a cheap job and BCO will need to check it.
Few hundred quid there :cry:
what does BCO stand for?

MOD

Building Control

please see item 17

Building control Officers at your local council.
Very fussy and you have to keep on the right side of them. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back