gate valve snapped in closed position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys, i am doing a job for a m8 and when i turned off the gatevalve on the hot water supply at the cwsc it snapped in the closed position, i am going to insert a rubber bung to the outlet inside the tank but as there will be no pressure to hold the bung in place because the water is not on will i get someone to hold the bung in place or will it be ok on its own, i am a qualified plumber btw, although i have never done this before ?????

Sponsored Links
just make sure the bung is fitted nice and snug, i normally put ptfe on the bung then you can get it sealing very well. same as the previous reply, never had one fall out.

cheers guys, a just wasnt sure as there would be no suction as the water is off

Sponsored Links
are you going to drain the clyinder as well? if the valve is level or below the cylinder you will get all the water coming back out of the cylinder when you disconnect the valve

its the feed to the cylinder, the first valve, its rite at the tank, theres one in the cylinder cupboard 2 but it was solid and didnt want to force it incase i broke it, ironic ha, i will be opening the lowest hot tap (the bath) , this valve i am changing is on the straight, online with the tank its about an 4 inch out from the tank, so am just wanting to keep the water in the tank while a change the valve obv, i hate gate valves, grrr

hardly ever use them now on lever valves.

18591.jpg

watch what your doing,make sure the gate valve is above the height of the cylinder

i remember a daft apprentice who tried something similar

i was lucky it was an empty house

ahem i mean he was lucky :oops:

ano, aye its in the loft, and ma m8 stays in the bottom flat, thats where the cylinder is so dnt need to worry bout that, a just wasnt sure if the bung would hold itself in, thats all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back