Fixing a creaky floorboard with copper pipes underneath it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i'm preparing a wooden floor before laying solid bamboo flooring, it is in a bathroom and one of the existing boards rests on top of the central heating pipes, they are right on the edge of the board so can not fix the side to the joist, they run down the whole length and are 3 x 22m pipes in a row.
How can i stop the creaking? The pipes are slightly lower than the joist so i was wondering if i slipped in 3mm hardboard along the length would this help support the board.
I am a complete novice and really need to get this fixed quick as we have a plumber coming in next weekend.

Many thanks, sorry for the rambling.

Sponsored Links
Take a couple of boards up to enlarge the hole and fit a piece of ply so you can fix away from the pipes.

Used this ploy on a landing many years ago where the floorboards had been wrecked by a plumber and some boards had nothing to rest on but the pipes.

Solid "wood" in a bathroom - you are braver than me.

Thank you that's a good idea, the floor manufacters state it is ok for the bathroom, apparently bamboo is pretty moisture resistant and it's been sealed on all sides. We have a victorian house and the bathroom would have been a bedroom so is pretty big and doesn't get too humid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back