Cable running in plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of having a new kitchen fitted.
The electricians have just been to do the first fix,
I'm a little dismayed that they have not fitted any trunking over the cable it is just now plastered in.
What is the situation regarding this practice?

Sponsored Links
the capping is only to protect the cable from plasterers and as long as they have not damaged cable it is OK.
Oh god not that old chestnut again :rolleyes: ! Capping of any sort is not required by the regs. & there is certainly nothing in the regs that states it's required "to protect against damage by a plastreres trowel"; & believe me I've checked. IMO capping is good practice & should be compulsory, it keeps the cables together & covered in one place so they can be plastered over; you can't easily plaster over loose dangling ables :LOL: ! IMO, steel capping is infinitely better than plastic simply because it gives some protection against future, DIY dick heads with a drill & a masonry bit looking to fix/hang something up. Masonry bits don't like going through steel unless you really force them & the extra time steel capping will give may just save the cables if said dick head realises there may be a problem but capping is NOT NECESSARY TO PREVENT A PLASTERER DAMAGING THE CABLES. I’ll say it again, there is no way on this earth that a plasterer is going to damage twin & earth cable with a plastering trowel, it’s a complete urban myth; we don't hack at everything in sight with the edge of a trowel FCS, do all sparks think we are heathens.

the capping is only to protect the cable from plasterers and as long as they have not damaged cable it is OK.
I’ll say it again, there is no way on this earth that a plasterer is going to damage twin & earth cable with a plastering trowel, it’s a complete urban myth; we don't hack at everything in sight with the edge of a trowel FCS, do all sparks think we are heathens.
But there are plasterers who aren't always as good as they should be - we've been talking about this on another post within the last hour.

Sponsored Links
Oh god not that old chestnut again :rolleyes: ! Capping of any sort is not required by the regs. & there is certainly nothing in the regs that states it's required "to protect against damage by a plastreres trowel"; & believe me I've checked. IMO capping is good practice & should be compulsory, it keeps the cables together & covered in one place so they can be plastered over; you can't easily plaster over loose dangling ables :LOL: ! IMO, steel capping is infinitely better than plastic simply because it gives some protection against future, DIY dick heads with a drill & a masonry bit looking to fix/hang something up. Masonry bits don't like going through steel unless you really force them & the extra time steel capping will give may just save the cables if said dick head realises there may be a problem but capping is NOT NECESSARY TO POREVENT A PLASTERER DAMAGING THE CABLES. I’ll say it again, there is no way on this earth that a plasterer is going to damage twin & earth cable with a plastering trowel, it’s a complete urban myth; we don't hack at everything in sight with the edge of a trowel FCS, do all sparks think we are heathens.
Like every other trade(sparks included) there are rogues who give the rest a bad name. I have to agree with you about the cables being damaged by trowels & think that if it happens it is because they have been installed incorrectly. However I have had several problems with plasterers re-routing cables without telling me & apparently deliberately plastering over socket boxes so that you cannot find them( not sure if this is a game they play or I upset them :) ) I think people just have to accept it is all part of life's rich tapestry & that we all make mistakes.

Oh god not that old chestnut again :rolleyes: ! Capping of any sort is not required by the regs. & there is certainly nothing in the regs that states it's required "to protect against damage by a plastreres trowel"; & believe me I've checked. IMO capping is good practice & should be compulsory, it keeps the cables together & covered in one place so they can be plastered over; you can't easily plaster over loose dangling ables :LOL: ! IMO, steel capping is infinitely better than plastic simply because it gives some protection against future, DIY dick heads with a drill & a masonry bit looking to fix/hang something up. Masonry bits don't like going through steel unless you really force them & the extra time steel capping will give may just save the cables if said dick head realises there may be a problem but capping is NOT NECESSARY TO PREVENT A PLASTERER DAMAGING THE CABLES. I’ll say it again, there is no way on this earth that a plasterer is going to damage twin & earth cable with a plastering trowel, it’s a complete urban myth; we don't hack at everything in sight with the edge of a trowel FCS, do all sparks think we are heathens.

The cables wouldn't be dangling and difficult to plaster in - they would be clipped to the wall in the chase, and would be far easier to plaster over than capping which can be a pain to fix at times.

I actually prefer to use oval conduit. I think it is something that is done differently in different part of the country. Down here we all tend to use oval tube.

Nothing wrong with plastering directly over the cables though. As said, the capping was more to prevent damage during plastering and although there is no direct mention if this in the regs, it was the intended purpose.

The cables wouldn't be dangling and difficult to plaster in - they would be clipped to the wall in the chase, and would be far easier to plaster over than capping which can be a pain to fix at times. I actually prefer to use oval conduit. I think it is something that is done differently in different part of the country. Down here we all tend to use oval tube.
I was being a little facetious with the "dangling cables bit" & I do appreciate they would at least be clipped. Nothing to prevent plastering directly over the cables but I would still prefer to see/plaster over capping or even oval conduit if you prefer. I will always fit steel capping on anything I do or if it's been left with nothing there at all. I use various methods depending on the wall but don’t have any problems fixing it at all.

As said, the capping was more to prevent damage during plastering and although there is no direct mention if this in the regs, it was the intended purpose.
Probably thought up by someone writing lecture notes that actually had no idea what the plastering process involves. There is infinitely more risk of damaging cables when fixing the capping/conduit to the wall than is involved in plastering over it & even more risk when “drawing through” holes in brickwork & joists etc. Plastering does not involve hacking at cable with the edge of the trowel which is the only possible way I can think of damaging one. A decent trowel is not cheap & takes a while to bed in & get perfect; even a numpty plasterer would not risk ruining it by carelessly hacking at a lump of twin & earth fixed to the wall. :confused:

JJ4091
Hiding the boxes is probably considered a bit of a site joke by some, same as over polishing will give the deccy a hard time covering. I always clear boxes as the plaster sets as there is a risk of it breaking away around the edge of the box if you leave it till dry. Some just don’t know any better but maybe you did upset them in some way; you didn’t go on about capping being necessary to prevent plasterers damaging your cables did you. :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Read my last post dumbo
It's far more dumb to think that the topic revolves around you, and that member reads every word of your long and tedious post before making their own succinct and perfectly valid contribution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back