DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Worcester greenstar 30si problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote

I have a new worcester greenstar 30si combi boiler. Recently, even though the central heating was off, the boiler started making loud noises in the early hours of the morning. The noise was like a vibrating, droning sound but very loud. The boiler has been working very quietly for three months and I've had no problems until now.

Those noises stopped the next day and the hot water is working fine. If I switch on the central heating, the boiler makes a few small grumbling, droning noises over a few minutes, I can hear water inside the boiler, more than usual - then the reset light (fault indicator) goes red and the blue light flashes. If I reset the boiler, the same thing happens. If I disable central heating it is working fine. Pressure guage is at around 1.5 and there is no air in the radiators.

The only thing that has happend recently is that I replaced the overflow pipe, just a screw-fit jobby so I havent taken off the cover or messed with the boiler in any way.

Any ideas?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote

Draytoc wrote:
...The only thing that has happend recently is that I replaced the overflow pipe...

The Si doesn't have an overflow pipe. Which one do you mean?
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for answering.

It is connected at the left side from underneath, plastic pipe that exits into the drain pipe in my flat. If I look underneath, inside the boiler at the front left I can just about make out a small plastic square container which drains out to this pipe.

The pipe is connected using a standard plastic screw-fit connecter with a rubber washer. The reason I replaced it is because the original one had a crack in and was leaking.
 Alert Moderators
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote

Turn the boiler off, and don't use until corrected by an RGI. The pipe you have fiddled with has a direct connection to the flue and can blow fumes into the house if not connected correctly.
In stead of replacing it yourself, you should have called the installer back as your boiler is still under warrantee.
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote

bengasman wrote:
Turn the boiler off, and don't use until corrected by an RGI. The pipe you have fiddled with has a direct connection to the flue and can blow fumes into the house if not connected correctly.
In stead of replacing it yourself, you should have called the installer back as your boiler is still under warrantee.

No offence intended but I'm sorry that I totally disagree with you on that.

The pipe expels water from a small plastic container inside the boiler which fills up with cold water periodically. The pipe is very simple, glued together plastic and connects via a standard plastic threaded connector, similar to the kind of connector you see on the end of a washing machine inlet connector but slightly bigger. It is not directly connected to the flue, its a water waste pipe and it is connected out to the main water drainage.

I didnt replace the pipe with a new one, I just fixed it. The pipe is made of 12 mm plastic tubing that has been glued together. It contains two elbow joints, one of which must have been twisted after it was glued and the glued section inside had cracked, causing a leak. I simply unscrewed it from the boiler, repaired the crack with glue and screwed it back in.

There is no way this could have been incorrectly connected by myself, its a very simple plastic "finger and thumb" screw-in fitting.

Last edited by Draytoc on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 am Reply with quote

How long have you been a RGI?
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote

bengasman wrote:
How long have you been a RGI?

Certainly much less time than you have been an impolite, argumentative moron.

Looking for a second opinion on this please from someone with some manners.
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote

To anyone else who would like to help...

I've learned that the plastic pipe is the pipe that expels condensed water so as I thought, it is neither dangerous, or the cause of this problem.

It could only be potentially dangerous if the pipe was removed completely and left like that.

I could replace it with any identical pipe with the same fittings without any concern at all. The pipe isnt blocked, nor is it fitted any differently to how it was the first time, its just had a simple repair.
 Alert Moderators
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote

The sounds of an illegal installer being caught out; the mention of a free of charge repair under warrantee as the answer would satisfy any normal person.
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote

bengasman wrote:
The sounds of an illegal installer being caught out; the mention of a free of charge repair under warrantee as the answer would satisfy any normal person.

You've had your chance and all you could do was say its my fault for "messing with the pipe" then you got argumenative with me when I disagreed with you. I dont want your help if you are going to behave like such a prat.

As it happens, I have great difficulty in contacting my landlord so if it can be identified as a simple problem and fixed without calling someone out, I'd rather take that route first if possible.

Please dont reply to this thread again. I'd like to hear from someone who posesses some basic communication skills.

From what I've read on other sites, the problem is more than likely down to the waste trap getting blocked with debris and preventing the condensed water from draining properly (I noticed it is just trickling through) - so the boiler is probably filling up with water and then shutting itself down.

Would anyone (other than bengasman) tend to agree with me on that?
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Just came home, took the front cover off the boiler and sure enough, the plastic bottle that contains the condensed water was full of grit, causing a blockage so the water couldnt filter through.

I disconnected the bottle, gave it a very thorough wash out and put it back, reconnected the condensed water waste pipe (which there is nothing wrong with) and replaced the cover on the boiler.

Started up first time, no problem, switched the heating on, no noises, no grumbles - perfect!
 Alert Moderators
fatplumber

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote

How on earth did the condensate trap on a new boiler get blocked. I have been servicing these for years and it takes about two years to get anywhere near blocked. It sounds as though you have a problem there and should get the installer of your new boiler back and slap him a few times.
 Alert Moderators
bengasman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Draytoc wrote:
...The pipe is connected using a standard plastic screw-fit connecter with a rubber washer. The reason I replaced it is because the original one had a crack in and was leaking.

Draytoc wrote:
...I didnt replace the pipe with a new one, I just fixed it. The pipe is made of 12 mm plastic tubing that has been glued together...

Does the style of posting not remind you of someone?
And who in his right mind would start working on a new boiler that does not even belong to him, with the risk of making it worse after having been told it is a warrantee issue?

How likely is it that a landlord takes the trouble to get a half decent boiler installed, and then disappear without leaving a contact number, or a number for emergencies, no agent available, benchmark with installer number miraculously disappeared, cp12 with phonenumber of RGI that recently worked on the boiler also not there?
That is a lot of unlikely things all happening at the same time.
 Alert Moderators
Draytoc

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote

fatplumber wrote:
How on earth did the condensate trap on a new boiler get blocked. I have been servicing these for years and it takes about two years to get anywhere near blocked. It sounds as though you have a problem there and should get the installer of your new boiler back and slap him a few times.

I did some research on the internet and found a few other people with the same issue. Not with the same model I should add. One forum I read, a guy says that his trap gets blocked every couple of months and he just keeps cleaning it out. I'd be very concerned if that happened.

I've been using this boiler for about 3 months but it was probably originally fitted in around October when the flat was built. I'll keep an eye on it and if this happens again I think it would be sensible to get someone out to look at it. For the time being though, its perfectly fine.

One question though, does the silt in the trap mainly come from the inside of the boiler or can dust and grit from the flue find its way into the trap too?

To Bengasman :- Your childish comments are unwelcome and innapropriate. I've already asked you to leave my thread alone, please go bother someone else.
 Alert Moderators
clf-gas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote

Draytoc wrote:

One question though, does the silt in the trap mainly come from the inside of the boiler or can dust and grit from the flue find its way into the trap too.

Mostly aluminium oxide from the HEX, very very little from outside air.

One of the reasons I went off these boilers, will only install the CDIs now, and they aren't immune from it.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: