Seperate oven and hob - electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question this (cant find it elsewhere).

In the case of a seperate oven and hob, is it the oven or the hob which needs its own circuit (the other being on standard ring circuit), or both on seperate circuits of their own, or both on the same dedicated circuit?

If the latter, do you just wire both back to the same "cooker" switch?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
i all depends on the how much power the devices consume.

Do you have any power rating for the appliances?

Not off the top of my head, but can obviously find out.

The existing installation appears to have the oven connected to the cooker switch and the hob to the ring main, but wasnt sure if that was current regulation!

OK hob is 6kW.

Cant find anything on the oven - still trying!

Is the 6kW too much to go on standard circuit?

Sponsored Links
It is to much for standard socket circuit, you can have both appliance on the the same circuit and the same isolator, but calculation need to be made regarding total output, so the protective device and the cable size can be worked out.

The only thing I can find on the oven is that its energy consumption is 0.84 kWh.....

Whether it makes a difference, it has come prewired with a plug, which would make me think the oven can sit on a standard ring main?

OK it would appear I've pretty much answered my own question, as it has a plug socket with a 13A fuse, it would appear to run from a standard socket.

Final question (apologies - electrical know nowt!) - I assume that it isnt a problem to strip out the socket and wire directly into a 13A fused switch?

Cheers!

Final question (apologies - electrical know nowt!) - I assume that it isnt a problem to strip out the socket and wire directly into a 13A fused switch?

Cheers!
Thats fine. Remove the plug and wire it in.

If its a sealed plug, remvoe the fuse.

By the way, your oven consumes 0.84kwh PER HOUR. The actual electrical loading will be much higher (between 2 and 3kw) - this is what we wanted.

Cheers!
Thats fine. Remove the plug and wire it in.

If its a sealed plug, remvoe the fuse.

By the way, your oven consumes 0.84kwh PER HOUR. The actual electrical loading will be much higher (between 2 and 3kw) - this is what we wanted.

Yeh I know Steve - sorry, just couldnt find this information out (stupidly bought an oven without instructions :) ).

Am I right in assuming then, from what you have just said, that due to the fact there is a 13A (sealed) plug, that it can run from a standard ring main?

Thanks very much.

Out of interest, what is the maximum power output (kW) that a standard socket can support?

230v x 13a = 2990 watts or near on 3kw.

at 240v, the figure rises to 3120 watts.

the maximum load to be fed from a ring final is 13 amps.

OK it would appear I've pretty much answered my own question, as it has a plug socket with a 13A fuse, it would appear to run from a standard socket.

Cheers!

Be careful if you remove the plug top from the lead and it's a molded plug top, could effect the warranty of the appliance.

Cheers!

Be careful if you remove the plug top from the lead and it's a molded plug top, could effect the warranty of the appliance.

thanks for that PBoD - never thought about that.

As it stands, I dont really have an option - but will just have to argue the toss at a later date if and when it comes to it.

Cheers!

thanks for that PBoD - never thought about that.

As it stands, I dont really have an option - but will just have to argue the toss at a later date if and when it comes to it.
don't how you feel about this, but I remove the whole cable and plug top and tuck them away for a rainy day so can be re-fitted and put a new cable on, it has to be the same rating. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back