Electric oven with a plug on, connecting to cooker point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to replace my oven which is currently wired into a "cooker point". The oven that I'm thinking of buying has a standard 13amp plug on it. Can this still be wired into my cooker-point somehow? If so, is it a straightforward DIY task, or do I need some kind of transformer/converter? My knowledge of electrics allows me to replace light-fittings, replace circuit boards etc... but that's about it!

Sponsored Links
MK5011.JPG

You could have something like this fitted - judging by your post regarding "transformers" by someone else. Work in kitchens is notifable under part P

What do you want to end up with a straight connection without out the plug?

Check the rating of the fuse/MCB for the cooker circuit. It is quite common for single ovens to only require a 13amp connection and if you are replacing like for like the overcurrent protection may already have been downrated. (They are normally 32amps for a cooker connection) Assuming it hasn't, you have a couple of choices. Plug the cooker into the socket on the cooker switch (If you have one) or get an electrician to modify the cooker feed with an appropriate fuse/mcb and either a socket or fused connection point.

Sponsored Links
It is a simple job to remove the cooker connection point and replace it with a single 13amp socket.
Plug in your oven and off you go.

The snag will be that the plug won't be so easily accessible, but many aren't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back