Miele Premier DIshwasher G 660 will not fill with water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 2nd hand dishwasher.
I've cleaned the machine according to the operating manual; filled it with salt and rinse aid; matched the salt level with local water hardness and tried it; checked the hoses; checked the inlet filter and supply. Inevitably, there are some problems:-
1. Often (but not always) the machine fails to fill up. It completes the cycle including drying) but there is no evidence of any water being involved (An upright cup left in the machine remains empty)
2. The detergent compartment mostly fails to open. I've checked the solenoid and it works just fine. It may be linked to failure to fill with water.

Looking through various posts it seems this might be a sticking float valve but I cannot find out how to access the float value. There is a raised section in the middle of the floor of the washer which looks to be the right height to have water trickle in and trip a float to stop the machine filling. However, I cannot see how to get the top off check and if necessary free up the float.

Thanks for any advice on this or any other possible cause of the problem

Sponsored Links
Nice thought but sadly no.
All pipework (in and out) is in decent nick.
Washer is in middle of kitchen floor and pipes can be seen to be straight. Pipes have not changed materially since the last time the machine filled correctly.

Check the Aqua Stop (water inlet)
put machine on a universal wash
machine will drain first for about 1 minute at the start
then it will fill !!!
at this stage put your hand on the aqua stop where it screws on to the water pipes under the sink and feel if it is buzzing or not
i suspect it is not working
the next stage is the circulation motor will start , if you get to this stage and no water in machine, you know it is the aqua stop

Sponsored Links
Cakeman -
Thanks for the thought - at least it is an easy test to try.
So I tried. Sadly this is an intermittent fault and this time (sods law) it filled perfectly. I'll let it go through its cycle, try again and report back
KR

So it filled OK for the wash part of the cycle but then remained dry (no additional fill) for either of the rinse cycles. No buzzing/throbbing from the AquaStop valve that I could detect.
I tried again and this time the machine did not fill at all.
So it seems like the AquaStop is OK but whatever makes it fill is working intermittently

Oh and by the way, the detergent holder never opened

KR

Loose connection on the aqua stop is a possibility
put machine on its back
undo 4 screws that fasten the base
pull out base being careful not to damage the flood sensor
check connections from the aqua stop under here
can work loose if the aqua stop has been pulled about or stretched, is a common problem

Well got the base off.

AquaStop connections (black covering from inlet pipe becomes blue and brown wires) appear solid. No sign of loose wires; no sign of plug and socket working loose (required pliers to get the two halves apart!) Multimeter confirms not open circuit in Aquastop.

Not sure which is the flood valve but I don't think I broke anything!!

Everything else looks clean and solid (as if I would know!!)

What next?

I start an economy wash cycle and I can see water entering the flat plastic container inside the RH panel and the wash cycle completes satisfactorily and the water is pumped out. This seems to suggest that all valves, filters etc can work properly (which I think rules out blockages).

Then it gets to the interim rinse cycle and no water is taken in. I can see water in the clear flat plastic container but it doesnt move. Also the DW makes a rather unpleasant noice - bit like a rusty hinge being opened but not as high pitched.

Any thoughts?

PS I am now away until Monday evening (30th) so will be unable to report anything until Tuesday

Aquastop connections in good order.

Now discover that DW will start to fill if tilted forwards into its front (or I suspect sideways) . Perhaps this suggests a sticking float valve but I cannot find this item to test. The only candidate looks like being an integral part of the big plastic assembly in the middle bottom of the DW (there is a dome on the RH side with some holes in it htat might contain a float linked to a switch)

Thanks Cakeman

I have already found the pressure switch with the small black pipe, blown through the pipe from both ends and checked that when I blow into the pressure switch, the contacts change from open to closed circuit.

By the motor housing: I have taken off the pipe and checked that neither the pipe nor the pressure switch is blocked. When I blow air into the switch, nothing happens - but then there seems to be no resistance. There are 3 wires - thicker Red and Brown and thinner White. The multimeter tells me that R is connected to W. B is connected to nothing. Is this they way it is supposed to be? Is there anyway I can test it?

Are these switches a likely cause of the problem if tilting the machine helps get it to fill. Is there a float valve somewhere that is maybe sticking on? I can't see one unless it is in the small plastic dome (by the lower washing arm ) that is an integral part of the plastic bottom of the washing area

Thanks for your help and interest

I know the dome your mention , if its not full of fatty gunge then that is no worries
everything else seems as it should so long as the black pressure switch is in its correct place & pipes too
how come you found it works on a tilt
is it level now

Dome thingy: I prodded the little holes gently with a piece of wire - some minimal resistance on one or two of them which then went away. No signs of gunge

Tilting: Coincidence. To examine the workings, I mostly lie the DW on its side or back. When I put it upright to test it, the fill before the first wash works OK. The rinse fills do not. (I suspect it has always been like this since I moved it into the house as it never rinsed very well - if at all.)

Then I thought maybe - So I stopped the program after the wash emptied. Tilted the DW so the door was on the ground, put it back upright and the DW then filled for the first rinse.

Being a suspicious sod, I completed the cycle. Then immediately started the wash again, but the DW did not fill. I tilted the machine a above, restarted the wash and it filled.

Bizarre!!!

there is obviously a bit something in there

finding it will be a labour of love

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back