4-way switching...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building an extension and the electrician has been and first fixed what was planned.

On hindsight I could do with a couple more light switches for the hallway lighting.He as 3 core+E pulled through at either end of the hallway for switching at both ends of hall. I would now like a switch in the ajoining garage and also in the hallway off the existing house.

Am I right in saying I would need 2 intermediate switches and 2 Twin and earths pulled through between the 2 switches? or am I way off the mark. All connections will be made in the switch boxes.

He's quite happy for me to pull in extra cables if I had a change of plan, don't really want to bother him seeing it is easter weekend, but it would enable me to finish the plasterboarding tommorrow.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if he has used 3 core and earth, then thats what you need, the 3rd core will join through in the back of the intermediate boxes.

Assuming the 2way is done with the 'conversion' method (pretty much standard these days)

Then you need a 2way awitch at each end of the 3-core and earth and it can pass through as many intermediate switches as you want on the way... note its 3core and earth, not twin and earth!

Also bear in mind that the spark might not be happy if you start making changes to his work (I certainly wouldn't!) ... proceed at your own risk!!!

Sponsored Links
Three answers in 4mins can't be bad, Thank you all.

Adam_151 understand your concern about meddling with his work but he has no probs with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back