cable to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first question in this forum!

I'm going to install a consumer unit in my garage. It will service one twin socket outlet and lights - 4x twin 5 foot flourescent. I expect to use 1 x 30A and 1 x 10A MCB. Does this sound OK?

What size cable should I use? 4mm? 6mm? It will be about 22m long and about 6m of that is in the air, hanging from a supporting stay wire. Should I run the exposed part inside a box?

When it is finished, I would like to get a certificate for the wiring, so it has to be right - quite apart from my aversion to shocks, death, etc..

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
In simple terms, hire an electrician. He can't sign off someone else's installation anyway, and if he disagrees with what you've done, wouldn't do so even if he could.

Apart from anything else, you've not explained how this is going to be powered

... if he disagrees with what you've done, wouldn't do so even if he could.
Aha. I assumed it was rules-based, not opinion-based. Hmm.
It is rules based - if you look on here, you'll soon see that there is a variety of opinions of what the rules actually mean :rolleyes:

Seriously though, he can't legally sign off an installation that he hasn't designed, installed and tested. You may be able to do a deal on the "installation" bit of the process and do the groundwork/preparation (drilling holes etc), but it's up to him.

Sponsored Links
There is an alternative to employing an Electrician....you can do the work yourself ,but you must first inform the Building Control Dept of your local Authority who will require ;

A Fee [Expensive}

A visit to ssess the workmanship complies with Part P of the Building Regs

An Electrical Installation Certificate to B.S. 7671 for the Work.

If you feel fully competant and happy to fullfill the above requirements then you can go down that route......if not its time to pick up the phone and book a visit from an Electrician who is registered with a Self-Certification scheme who will take care of the lot for you.

I expect to use 1 x 30A and 1 x 10A MCB. Does this sound OK?

What size cable should I use? 4mm? 6mm? It will be about 22m long

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back