Electric Showers - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current 7.5kw shower needs replacing. I don\\\'t want to have to change the wiring to the shower, coudl you advise on what the maximum wattage I could install

Moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the existing cable! And whether it runs in a conduit etc. Things have got stricter so eg 4mm is no good any more.

Not without knowing what wiring you've got. Start by finding out what size fuse or breaker it's running on. If you're lucky, you'll also be able to see some of the cable and give us a rough measurement of its width.

And I see ChrisR just beat me to it ---

HI laney,4mm?unlikely,i expect you have 6mm cable existing in which case as a general guide you wouldnt really want to go for a bigger shower than 9.5kw,ideally i would say replace the cable with 10mm and that would cover you now and in the future as showers are increasing in power consumption all the time!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I've found out I've got 6mm cable and a 30 breaker. Do you think a 9.5 shower would be ok??

A thirty amp breaker is good for:

30 amps x 240 volts = 7200 watts!!!

If you want a bigger one you'll certainly need a bigger breaker and possibly bigger cable too. That 6mm might be up to 40 amps if it's not bundled into conduit with other cables and that, with a 40 amp breaker, would give you 9.5kW but I would settle for 8.5kW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back