Power to garage and adittion socket in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating my first house and want to sort a few things out before I move in. i'm planning on doing all or most of the work my self. Then get someone in to test when I'm ready to move in.

1. Want to get power to the garage which is at the back of garden. Can I run swa from a socket on back wall of house? Or do I have to come from the CU cleated along side the house then buried in garden? Just want 1 light and 2 double sockets

2. Need to add a socket for a washing machine as the previous owners used to pull in a extension lead across the kitchen every time they used washing machine. There is a socket I can probably spur off upstairs or a socket the other side of the doorway. If I need to spur off the one other side of doorway can I channel cable into the floor? How deep does it need to be?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can DIY but the cost of DIY when working in Kitchens and outside unless you are a member of a scheme is prohibitive because of the LABC minimum charge.

Any spur can only supply one item. The only way you can supply more than one item is to use a fused connection unit.

There is no depth in regulations it just says it must be unlikely to be damaged.

Any new cable, sockets etc. Will need to comply with current regulations. You don't need to upgrade existing.

You say before you move in. The regulations state that a periodic inspection report should be completed on change of occupant. This will list what does not comply with current regulations. Many old houses don't have RCD protection on all sockets and if not then to add any more wire or sockets will require you to add RCD protection.

I would read up on Part P then ask yourself is it really worth all the hassle to DIY.

Then get someone in to test when I'm ready to move in.
That's not how it works.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

1. Want to get power to the garage which is at the back of garden. Can I run swa from a socket on back wall of house? Or do I have to come from the CU cleated along side the house then buried in garden? Just want 1 light and 2 double sockets

2. Need to add a socket for a washing machine as the previous owners used to pull in a extension lead across the kitchen every time they used washing machine. There is a socket I can probably spur off upstairs or a socket the other side of the doorway. If I need to spur off the one other side of doorway can I channel cable into the floor? How deep does it need to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back