Flush Fitted, Low voltage Porch Lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have three of the above lights fitted to the ceiling of my front porch. the problem I have is that two of them are not working.

The light nearest the door works but the two furthest do not. I have checked the bulbs and they all work.

Can anybody identify what may be the problem.

Sponsored Links
By Low voltage do you mean 12v. If yes are they all on one transformer or does each fitting have its own. If the latter then its likely the transformers have gone. However before that , if you are able to, take out the lamps and pull down the wiring so you can inspect it for heat damage. Another regular cause of problems with these lights. You should at the same time get to the transformers to inspect them.

Thanks for the advice.

The problem I think I may have is access to the transformers and wiring which would appear to be set into the space above the plastic cladding where the lights are set.

You should be able to gently prise the light fittings out of the holes they're in and get at the transformers that way. Usually these lights are held in by a couple of spring clips; these can be quite fierce so watch your fingers and take it easy so you don't damage the surrounding plasticwork. It's not unusual for some helpful soul to have fileld round the edge of the fitting with mastic - if you've got this you'll need to work at it gently with a thin blade (small screwdriver, blunk penknife etc) to loosen it off before getting the light fitting down.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say - get the lamps out of the fittings first (held in by circular spring clips? - there are various options), then you can feel around for where the holding clips are, which might make removal easier.

PJ

Sometimes if youre lucky just by removing the lamp the wiring and transformer(if 1 per unit) can be pulled through the hole without the need to remove the light fitting too.

I have removed the 50w bulb from one of my porch light recess's and pulled the wiring down which reveals whats shown below.

When I pulled the wiring I thought I might find the transformer,but there was nothing,and the recess was too small for my hand.

Can anybody advise what I can do next to try and repair the lights.

Have you dropped the other lights down to find transformer(s)?

Are you they are 12 volt?

Usually plug-in lamps are 12 volt.
Push and twist are 240 volt.

Check all connections are secure.
Check for burnt out connections and loose connections.
Check lampholders are ok.
Check transformers if you have them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back