Refilling System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(1)Can someone please tell my the quickest way to refill a heating system that has been fully drained when new rads were fitted?

(2)Is it acceptable to refill by connecting a cold water feed to the system? say onto one of the drain valves or at the boiler drain valve. I have refilled this system before by just using the F&E tank but it took an age filling and bleeding it.

The system is fully pumped open vented. Hot water cylinder is double feed indirect.

Sponsored Links
Possible your balltap has a blockage if your tank fills up slowly or occasionally theres a blockage at the bottom of the feed pipe where it tees into the system or anywhere on the feed pipe.

Is it acceptable to refill by connecting a cold water feed to the system? say onto one of the drain valves or at the boiler drain valve.

According to the water byelaws >> only if you have at least a double check valve between the system and your supply. [Check that theres one on the hosepipe tap]
Heres why
I know its a billion to one shot but say for example there was a sudden negative pressure on the mains caused by say for eg. the fire brigade flushing out a local hydrant. All the crud in your system could be sucked back into the mains and come out of next doors drinking water tap when the pressure was restored. It does happen and people have been fined for 'backsiphonage'. In real life however not many people pay attention to the law on this as there's no one to police it! but all good plumbers know about it and are at least aware of it.

Another more important point is that the jumper which holds your washer on the drain off valve is liable to be loose and act as a non return valve when you fill the system = it may not work as this jumper effectively closes itself off stopping you from filling up.

I cant see anything wrong however in fitting a combi filling loop lower down in the system even though the system isnt pressurised.
If you have to run a hose to it you could use it again in future and for about a tenner it could be worthwhile

Look into making your system a pressurised one and you are unlikely to get a prob with airlocks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back