Garage Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4, four foot fluorescent units in my garage which have been installed for at least 30 years. Obviously over that time I have changed bulbs and starters.

Recently, after the cold weather set in, two of them stopped working and then the other two stopped as well.

I tried new tubes to no avail and the tried new starters, also to no avail.
Is there a chance that due to the age of the units, the current cold weather is affecting the workings. [is there a choke or similar fitted inside the unit that could be the issue]

With a new tube and starter fitted, when switched on the starter glowed and pulsed.

Sponsored Links
And equally obviously in the last 30 years you've been through cold weather.

If you've replaced tubes and starters all that's left is the ballasts. Or maybe worn contacts are conspiring with the normal reluctance of fluorescents to start when cold to push them over the edge?

You can't expect the PF correction capacitors in the lighting fitting to still be working after 30 years.

Also, an earthed fitting helps the lamp to start. It is still connected to earth isn't it?

I think that after 30 years it's time for replacement. It's not going to break the bank is it? Or you could ask Santa... :LOL:

Stodays hit the nail on the head I feel, time for new fittings, go to your local wholesaler and purchase "Anticorrosive" ones, these are designed to keep airbourne moisture away from the working parts. It would be worth getting high frequency "starterless" versions.

You are right, there is a choke inside, we call it a ballast, in damp conditions, over time rust forms between the laminations pushing them apart and reduces its efficiency, add to this degraded capacitors and cold weather (the mercury vapor in the tube requires heating which is done automatically in the start up sequence in order for the tube to "strike") and your lights will well, not!

even my 2 year old lights in my workshop noticably take longer to start and attain full brightness at the moment

Best

Tony

Sponsored Links
No fewer than a minimum of 8 people believe that I should not have written this:

If you've replaced tubes and starters all that's left is the ballasts. Or maybe worn contacts are conspiring with the normal reluctance of fluorescents to start when cold to push them over the edge?

Why? What possible rational reason could anyone have for saying I should not have written it?

When will at least one of you ****s have the balls to identify yourself and explain and defend your behaviour?

BAS, I have the balls (figuratievly speaking) to tell you that whilst I largely agreed with your post (as far as it went) - I still think that you're a little too intense and not a little over-sensitive to others' opinions.

Until you raised this recent fuss about being 'voted down', I had no idea that the thumbs up/down facility existed - such is my unfamiliarity with this forum. I don't see the need for such an anonymous voting procedure, and I doubt that I'll ever use it - but I still think you're an overbearing twit......

Why do you let it get to you so much?

Best wishes, Lucia.

Hi Singalong,

FWIW, Stoday gets my thumbs up for his answer.

I don't know if your local electrical supplier does a gift wrapping service so you may have to wrap them yourself, but you could get them for the missus for xmas ;)

Just like to say thank you for all the replies. Will be off tomorrow to buy new. Don't think I can get away with them being a present for the wife.

Thanks again.

No fewer than a minimum of 8 people believe that I should not have written this:

Why? What possible rational reason could anyone have for saying I should not have written it?

When will at least one of you ****s have the balls to identify yourself and explain and defend your behaviour?

Bas, when I was 10 years old my dad gave me copy of "IF" by Kipling for Christmas, it was the most valuable present anyone has ever given me. The first verse, if you don't know, is;

"IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise"

It ends with,

"Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And, which is more, you'll be a Man, my son!"

It should be a compulsory text in our education system because the principles it lays down are probably more relevant in today's society than when it was written.

Bas, when I was 10 years old my dad gave me copy of "IF" by Kipling for Christmas, it was the most valuable present anyone has ever given me. The first verse, if you don't know, is;

"IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise"

It ends with,

"Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And, which is more, you'll be a Man, my son!"

It should be a compulsory text in our education system because the principles it lays down are probably more relevant in today's society than when it was written.

here, here. spot on

(although makes me sad as it causes me to think about my father and grandfather, both of whom greatly valued the sentiment of this work, R.I.P. both :( )

Just like to say thank you for all the replies. Will be off tomorrow to buy new. Don't think I can get away with them being a present for the wife.

Thanks again.

awww, gwan, give it a go. :D

I know someone who once gave his missus a new toilet pan for xmas (yes, really :eek: :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back