Split load consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently installing a new consumer unit to replace my old fuse box. I've bought a volex 10 way split load CU. There are two RCD's, one 80A and one 63A. The CU only has one neutral bar? I was expecting two?

I was assuming there would only be one RCD, therefore i would have a non-RCD protected side and an RCD protected side, but i take it both sides are supposed to be RCD protected or is one a spare?

The circuits in my house are:-
Ring Main
Kitchen ring
Upstair lighting
Downstair lighting
Boiler
Cooker
Shower

What circuits go on which side of the Consumer Unit?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
i would put up lights, ring main, boiler, cooker 63 amp side and kitchen ring, down lights,shower on 80amp side.

a picture of the inside of the cu would be good

does it have a mains switch ?

are both rcd's wired in ?

Sponsored Links
yes it should have two netural bars then, and won't work without them both!

Where do the netural connections out of the RCDs go ?

What circuits go on which side of the Consumer Unit?
If you don't even know which circuits should be RCD protected, what on earth leads you to think you are competent to install this CU?
  • For a circuit to supply a given load, how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• Do you know which circuits can be ring finals and which cannot, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

• Do you know what the two main lighting circuit topologies are, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

• How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

• What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

• Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

• How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?

• Do you know what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

[EDIT]Irrelevant Q removed to avoid distraction.[/EDIT]

If I read this right there should be 3 N bars if it has a non rcd fitment does this CU have ridgid conductors on the inside or are they flexible I generally throw out the non rcd side and move every thing up the rail to suit my needs and I always have a selection of busbars I can cut to suit but I think perhaps the OP should really get a electrician in for this, getting it wrong at the assembly stage could be disasterous
DM

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for this work, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure compliance with P1?

Who do they apply to in Scotland BAS?
No.

You know - when I added that I thought "must make sure to checke where he OP lives and edit it out if it's irrelevant."

Then I clicked Submit and did SFA about it..... :oops:

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for this work, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure compliance with P1?

Who do they apply to in Scotland BAS?
No.

You know - when I added that I thought "must make sure to checke where he OP lives and edit it out if it's irrelevant."

Then I clicked Submit and did SFA about it..... :oops:

Just demonstrates how stupid the system is; not only do you get free uni education in Jockland, you can also reqire your home without getting nibbed by the council! And yes BAS, I can answer all of the questions, I just dont have the certificates to prove it! ;)

OK, WOS - would you care to take my list of questions and provide a reasoned, intelligent, articulate and engineering based explanation of why someone who's replacing a CU doesn't have to know any of those things?

Or do you intend to behave like a stupid mewling child in 2011 just like you did in 2010?

Tell you want BAS, I'll have a go at answering the questions to try and get rid of the silly questions and hopefully leave more sensible/important questions.

1) Replace fuse with the same rating MCB. (this of course assumes it has the correct rating to start with - but you aren't making it less safe)

2) OP is only replacing the CU not doing a rewire. Ring socket circuits should be checked for continuity and if continuity isn't found a 20A MCB should be used (not 32A)

3) Lighting - OP is only replacing the CU not doing a rewire.

4) maximum demand/diversity - No increase in load. OP is only replacing the CU. RCD ratings should be considered with the help of this forum (as you have a 63A RCD).

5) Earthing. - If you have an earth rod, do not use a metal cased CU.
The OP may not be able to bring the installation upto the latest regulations, but shouldn't make it less safe.

6) Probably not.

7) OP is only replacing the CU not doing a rewire.

8) Cable runs. OP is only replacing the CU not doing a rewire. If all circuits circuits are RCD protected, not a problem. Even if they aren't, install still better than it is now.

9) Outdoor cables - If all circuits are RCD protected, they should be safer than they are now. Assuming no dodgy DIY work has been performed.

10) Joints - OP is only replacing the CU not doing a rewire.

11a) extraneous conductive parts - 17th regulations don't require these earthing do they?

11b) main and supplementary bonding - OP may not upgrade earth conductor size to 10-16mm to meet the latest standards. But install shouldn't be less safe than it was before.

12) Supply Isolation - Good Question

13) Testing - Good Question. Should be done on CU change. But will the install be less safe than it was previously?

Let the flaming and constructive comments commence.

Leave out the snide comments on education in Scotland it's always been that way it's only since the English government has decided to screw its own people for a change that some people adopt the attitude that it is unfair
DM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back