peugeot headlight adjustment motor removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I remove the headlight adjustment motor from the headlamp of a peugeot 206 1.1l.
Haynes manual says turn anticlockwise and be careful separating the balljoint.
I can turn it nearly a quarter turn, can see the white ring and it feels loose but I cannot get it out any further. I have turned the manual adjuster fully clockwise to extend the rod but am still stuck.
Any experience out there Hopefully!

Sponsored Links
I think that is the correct method, but get a broad lever under that plastic ball joint to pull it free. Better still, warm the plastic up with a hair dryer before you try - its much less brittle that way.
John :)

John,
many thanks for your reply.
when I turn the motor it only comes out about the thickness of the white ring about 3mm and I cannot move it sideways or further out to reveal inside the lampholder body. so cannot get at the ball joint.
I have only been able to turn the motor less than a quarter turn, the haynes photo appears to show approaching a half turn.
regards Mike

In which case Mike, I'd be inclined to either have a natter with the Peugeot service manager or maybe pull the entire lamp unit out and have a look at it on the bench. As I recall, Renault ones are similar with a bayonet type connection to the lamp shell. The mobile lens is pulled back, the ball joint connected and the motor refitted afterwards.
John :)

Sponsored Links
John thanks,
I guess dismantling is the only way, as usual I was hoping to avoid taking the front end off.
I hope the peugeot service manager is friendly.

regards Mike

Most motors pop out of the socket with a gentle pull ?

Thanks mursal,
I will have to wait until the end of next week until I can get the car for long enough to get the headlamp on the bench where I can apply CONTROLLED force and avoid breaking the balljoint.
I spoke to the service manager at a local dealer, he felt the approach was right but couldn't remember the details.
regards Mike

Before you disconnect the headlight, switch the h/lights on, with the level adjust set to high,(i.e. 0) then disconnect the h/light, this will extend the adjuster arm out of the motor asy. and give you a bit more free play when you twist the motor out of the h/light. and don't just pull the ball end out you'll break it! it slides sideways out of the grove.

Thanks MrTinker
It is the uncontrolled pulling that I am afraid of which would result in the ball breaking off.
regards mike

Sponsored Links
Back