Hotpoint Aqualtis AQ9D69i(uk)V Front Counterweight Cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope someone might be able to help me. I have the above machine and it has worked fine for a number of years however we moved to another property in September 2010 and whilst moving it one of my friends dropped the machine and cracked the door. I put the 4 carriage bolts in the machine to secure the drum before moving it. It was not dropped from height just a few feet from hands to the corner of a step. I removed the bolts and installed the machine in the kitchen and made sure it was level.

After a month or so we notice a knocking noise when the machine was spinning especially at high speeds (1600rpm) it got worst over time so I had a look and found the front counterweight had cracked making the machine unstable. I replaced the counterweight (C00272446 FRONT COUNTERWEIGHT 11.5kg PRIME/AQ08). I installed the machine and it worked well until a few weeks ago it started making a noise again. I checked the front counterweight and found the three washers on the bolts were loose. When I replaced the counterweight the washers were tight. I tighten the bolts further and the washers became tight against the counterweight. We have used the machine about four times since then and today the machine made a terrible noise when spinning so we turned it off before its program finished and I found the counterweight had cracked and bits of it on the floor.

Hotpoint told me that the counterweight is correct for the machine so does anyone have any idea why the counterweight has cracked again! Have I missed something in replacing the counterweight! Sorry to waffle on!!!!!

Any help will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Could be that the bearings or spider finally gave up the fight. Open the door & check for any up/down slack, then spin the drum by hand & listen for any rumbling/grinding sounds. If you find either an economic repair is unlikely. Another culprit could be defective shock absorbers. It seems strange to bust 2 counterweights if everything else is in order.

This is a known problem the wire it the concrete comes out and also punctures door seal. Check the lugs on the drum are not worn cos plastic lugs and concrete don't go well together. Only remedy is a new drum and weight with locktite on it. Weights were not torx up to propery. I've done 5 since jan.

Wow....5 in a month (& the month isn't up yet!). Hotpoint & reliability are two words that really don't belong together in the same sentence :(

Sponsored Links
Yep you know don't you. 18 pcbs 6 welded tanks. 4 wma drums. 3 hobs. 8 door seals. 7 pumps. And a set of brushes. Real quality. Still 10 days left ;)

Merloni :rolleyes:
I'm going to send an application to Miele...I'm about ready for an easier life :LOL:

Wait til you see the next lot. Arcadia mods blowing As the pump jams up. Fridge doors falling off , cooker glass exploding and new shape drums exploding from the inner drum that's real quality , pays the morgage :LOL:

Please forgive a newbie for bumping this thread but it was the one that helped me when I searched for my problem on google. Zipper's link to the video on youtube gave me the bit of confidence to have a look for my self before calling out expensive hotpoint repair people. I have the Aqualtis AQXGF 149pm and it started making the most awful noise on spin today...no build up rattling , just a sudden loud sort of wobbling whirr (not disimilar to a star wars pod racer type thing) So I looked and found this place and was starting to think I had an expensive repair to look forward to...
I took off the lid and the back service panel and found that a piece of sort of egg carton looking foam with a thick tarry looking plastic back had come away from the side of the machine casing, dropped down and a corner of it had gone onto the bottom spindle for the belt and was starting to melt onto it and had pushed the belt out of line. Removed it and cleaned the melted bits out of the groove on the spindle, realigned it all and it works a charm.

So I wanted to say a big thank you to all you on here (because it doesn't seem to happen often that I've seen across the threads!) for helping save a mum of 3 utterly mad kids a huge call out fee at the beginning of the holidays that would have meant for a very tense 2-3 weeks for them. Plus you never know it might help someone else's search too :)

Edit: hmm not sure what I did there but I've mixed up which thread it was on....this is the one I found first I think but it is this one that has the youtube link //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235419

apologies :oops:

We have a Hotpoint Aqualtis 9D 1600 spin washing machine that started to make alarming knocking noises when it went into the spin cycle. The machine is only just over 12 months old but the problem turned out to be the front counterweight that had disintegrated, and this in turn had caused damage to the drum assembly.
For full details and pictures, visit my blog at http://grumpygitsandusefultips.blogspot.com/

Hi
We have the Hotpoint Aqualtis AQ9D 691 which suffered from a shattered counter weight which we had replaced. Cut a long story short, when the machine again started to make excessive noise, I tilted it up towards its back and noticed that there was a plastic pin on the floor. There are two shock absorbers which obviously control the movement of the drum and the counter weights. One of the shock absorbers had disconnected, hence the pin on the floor. I was able to slid the pin back in place and this seems to have solved the problem. I think this problem caused the damage to the counter weight in the first instance that I described, so it is worth a look under the machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back