Installing a built-in ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, its not actually an electrical question, but I can't see quite where to ask this otherwise.

Just wondered what the pros do when installing these hobs. I am just updating my kitchen with a new worktop and noticed the hob was previously installed without the protective foil covering the edge of the cut-out in the worktop. Also there wasn't a seal. Unfortunately I don't have instructions for the hob ("Diplomat")... I think it was a B&Q "own brand" cheapie so I'm not hopeful of getting much sense out of them!!!

My searching on the web leads me to believe that I need a "heatproof seal" between the hob and worktop, and heat reflective tape around the cut edge of the laminate...or am I being too fussy...clearly the previous installer wasn't :( .

Any advice from the professionals would be most appreciated..and also any clue as to what type/brand of sealant and reflective tape I need to look for...I can't see anything in the Screwfix catalog that seems to fit the description :(

btw I'm happy to have this question moved to a more appropriate part of the forum if the moderator deems it sensible. Cheers and thanks for yr help.

Sponsored Links
Diplomat is MFI's own brand. I have never seen a foil, there is usually a strip putty or some sort of self sticky strip to go around the edge.

I would not worry about heat, they don't get very hot around the edge.

I do loads of worktop changes and quite a few that I take out have no sealing and there is no ill effects on the worktop.

Many thanks H&J, that's reassuring!
Just cut the new aperture last night. Did a marvelous job with downcut jigsaw blade ... took about 15 mins... but being ultra-cautious I made it about 5mm too small, so it took me another hour with a 1/2" router to get it cut to the right size :( . So the morale of this story is measure a bit more accurately and have confidence in your measurement! I've varnished the cut edges so if any spills do penetrate it should hopefully not swell the chipboard. I'll probably put a bead of silicone sealing around the underneath of the hob lip for the same reason. (OK this is not "electrical", and a bit off topic but I figured it might help someone in the future browsing thru the archives!!! ).

Better to be too small than too big and I speak from experience.

The silicon around the edges is a good idea, just try and be neat, it's a real job trying to get it off after.

I always put a thick bead in the grove that's intended for the supplied strip.

Sponsored Links
If no foam sealing strip, you can use plumbers mait under the trim this will hold & seal.
There is also no heat problem using plumbers mait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back